Cutting and extending virgin media phone cables - basic query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have a query about virgin media telephone cables. I’ll say up front that this doesn’t directly affect the broadband cabling which is routed elsewhere.
The main cable comes in off the street and into the brown junction box. From here, a telephone cable tracks under the front door to the kitchen. From the kitchen a slave cable runs back out and also under the front door. Both cables are snuggly fits and have no “give”.

We’re getting a new front door and the cable will need to drop lower and will need extending to accommodate this. The only way I can see to do this is either replace the whole cable, or to cut and add an extension piece. I’d prefer the latter because it’s easier, and I can hide the junction boxes.

So now for the question - can I just cut the cables and fit in an extension piece using gel connectors and a couple of junction boxes, or will I cause problems? Second, if I do this, how many internal cores will I need to deal with in each cable?

These are hopefully quite simple questions, but as I’m a newbie to telephone cables I’m relatively clueless!

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
There are four wires, only two will be in use. You can check which two by looking inside the last terminal box. But probably best to connect up all four.
Don't try the same with the broadband cable.
(VM user here)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back