Cutting back gloss paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it possible to cut back the surface of hardened gloss paint to de-nib embedded dust, and keep the shine without having to re-coat? If so, with what?

The paint is Dulux Trade gloss, solvent-based. My new window board already has three coats on it and I don't really want to add another!

Cheers
Richard

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The car guys do a colour sand, i've put a link below as i don't know much about it. If it was me i would use something like 1000 -2000 wet and dry with plenty of water, make sure the gloss has cured properly though.
http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/paint-body/hrdp-0805-color-sanding/
Thanks. I've done colour sanding on cars. Car paint is much harder though. When I've de-nibbed domestic gloss before recoating, it's taken the shine off

You can't sand gloss paint. Totally different to car laquer. The gloss is only the top layer.

Sponsored Links
Tearing what's left of my hair out now. I flatted the paint back again. Removed the dust with a brush and hoovered the (sealed) concrete floor. Cleaned the woodwork twice with kitchen roll impregnated with white spirit. Rec-coated and left the room. This morning there is fine dust over everything again. Should I do the same again but go round the room first with a plant mister to get any dust out of the air?

This is about 5 metres of window board, on four windows.

Cheers
Richard

Did you use a fresh brush? Wet the floor before you start. The old carriage painters used to work in about an inch of water.

Are we talking about a very fine dust?

Had this myself recently. Was all the set to start again, but after leaving for a good few days to harden, it became less obvious, and decided it was acceptable.

Did you use a fresh brush? Wet the floor before you start. The old carriage painters used to work in about an inch of water.
It was a newish brush that had sat in white spirit, and was dried in kitchen roll. I plan to use a new brush next time. Possibly after washing it in fesh white spirit, as it's been in a cupboard and might be dusty ;)

Are we talking about a very fine dust?

Had this myself recently. Was all the set to start again, but after leaving for a good few days to harden, it became less obvious, and decided it was acceptable.
It's quite fine, but can be felt all over it under the fingers, and shows up when sunlight is reflected. Not acceptable (and didn't happen with any of the rest of my extensive decorating)

It does seem to happen more with window sills, as obviously it's a flat surface where dust can settle.

Have you tried a tack cloth?

Also heard theories about placing buckets of water in the room, as it supposedly attracts the dust!

I sympathise with your predicament, nothing worse than doing a load of hard work, then having to re-do it, but having to wait a good while for it to cure before you can start putting it right. Most annoying.

Definitely use a new brush next time - best get one still in the packet.

You may or may not see the dust as you begin to start painting...

Any draughts or open trickle vents in your windows? If so, try masking tape over them - even the slightest draught will increase the flow of dust particles around the windows.

Just an update. After letting the paint harden for a week, I flatted it back. Brushed dust from the exposed beams in the ceiling. Hoovered the window boards and the floor. Went round the room twice with a plant mister squirting water high into the air. Damped down the floor in the same way. Went over the paintwork twice with proper tack rags Decanted paint into a bowl, selected a new brush and washed it out in white spirit. Painted (in a T shirt). Shut up the room and didn't go back in there for the rest of yesterday.

On inspection this morning my paint is very shiny (not surprising as it's the 4th coat in places), but still has dust in it. Nowhere near as much as before. I can tolerate how it is now, but still wonder what I need to do to get dust-free gloss in a domestic situation!

Cheers
Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back