Cutting back Lime trees

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

A couple of years ago I moved into a house that had 3 lime trees that had grown to about 35 or 40 foot. I ended up having to get someone in to take them down to about 12 foot for me. From that point on, I wanted to keep them at that height by cutting them back myself and the guy who did the work recommended cutting everything off of them at the end of September. I did that last year and it worked fine. They grew again late spring and have looked ok throughout the summer.

I wondered however if I can leave the cutting back until spring (say early March). I assume they won't grow much over winter, and they would look a little bit nicer during the colder months with a few branches on, otherwise for 6 months of the year they are simply 12 ft stumps which don't look very nice.

Is that ok? Is there any time of the year I should avoid cutting them?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sponsored Links
It sounds like your tree guy has pollarded your limes. Pollarding is best done while the tree is dormant and before the sap rises in spring, so depending how early spring comes, any time between November to early March would be fine.

Thanks. You are right, they were pollarded (I forgot the correct term!) I'll hang on until late winter then.

Sponsored Links
March might be getting a bit late, depending where you live. I'd play it safe and do it earlier.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back