Cutting Decking at an angle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

Just need a quick bit of advice on how to cut decking at an angle along a fence. I've attached a very, very basic sketch of the shape i'm decking, which is basically two angled fences at the side with a square top and bottom 5m wide by 3m long.

i'm sure it's probably just a case of simple maths and accurate measuring, but i'd like to know if there's any particular technique to be able to work out how to cut each board so they are all at the correct angle to each other and look straight/flush, or whether i should put some sort of trim over the cut edges by the fences?

Thanks in advance.

JR

Sponsored Links
I would leave them oversized whilst you make the deck and then trim it all accurately at the end using a batten or similar as a template to ensure you get a really good straight edge.

When I did mine I left about a 60mm gap so I had room to leave them oversized and then had enough room to run a circular saw down. Then popped a bit of nice stone in the gap.

So begs the question how close to the fence do you want to get? If you expect to be able to leave a tiny gap then you're gonna run into practical problems.

Sponsored Links
Kind of. The angled line is the fence line, the straight line at the bottom would be the line of the lawn.

Well obviously don't need to cut the lawn end if they are perpendicular with the lawn, provided you are meticulous when you fix the boards down and you like a nice straight edge that is.

I would do as you have done in your little image, but to get the back edge cut correctly, put the board up against the fence so the corner you want to cut off is touching the fence, then measure from the other corner to the fence, in line with the board. this will give you the length to cut from the corner.

You can then position your boards so that they are however far from the fence you want them to be.

finally cut the flat face so you have a nice straight edge.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back