Cutting down a palm tree

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's been a while since I've been on this forum but we've moved into a new place so I'll be posting up quite a bit in the coming months as the place is a fixer-upper.

The first thing I want to do is to tidy up the garden - we've made some headway but I want to chop down a palm tree that is growing at a funny angle. In the picture below you can see there are three trees - it's the left hand one at the 45 degree angle I want to remove. Actually cutting the thing down isn't going to be a problem but what can I put on the stump to stop it growing again? Normally I'd use some stump killer but I don't want to damage the other two trees.

Thanks in advance!

P1020815.jpg

Sponsored Links
We had one cut down last year - they cut it to 1 foot below the soil level. Damn thing still keeps growing back :evil:

Thanks for the responses. Does that mean there's nothing I can put on the stump to stop it growing that wont kill the rest of the tree? I would quite like to keep the upright bits!!

Sponsored Links
if you cut it back to much you may poison the whole plant or encourage 2 or more stems to grow
but i dont know that is just a guess
and yes its one plant so kill one bit kills the lot

you could always try and encourage the new growth to rise more vertical by binding but suspect it will rebel and do its own thing

you do not get it do you, its meant to be that shape, it looks good like that. are you a control freak.

I do get it thank you. You may think it looks good but you don't have to live with it growing at that angle over your small garden.

Thank you for the help.

Cut a vee in the back of the trunk and push it back vertical and rope it to the other trunks, that way it won't be in the way but will still be alive.
Other than that cut it off and just keep trimming any new shoots off it.

I do get it thank you. You may think it looks good but you don't have to live with it growing at that angle over your small garden.

Thank you for the help.
you do not understand trees that is how they grow loads here in cornwall and they all grow with three shoots and lean like that

You are lucky is still alive. They have a disease.
I have had one that died completly, the other keeps loosing leaves.
Then I cut the branch off, then it starts to grow again from another point, but as yet not branches. Just lots of leaves from the trunk.
Australian palm I thin its called.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back