Cutting down indian sandstone pavers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm just about start paving in the back garden with indian sandstone. The areas I need to pave are quite small. I want to use a mixture of sizes. Typically, these are available in packs comprising
900 x 600
600 x 600
600 x 290
290 x 290

The 900 x 600 just doesn't work with the layout and various narrow areas I need to pave. The pack quantities in general don't help.

I can buy individually 600 x 600 and 600 x 900 locally. Is it feasible to score and split down the larger sizes to make the smaller ones? Anybody else tries this - and not regretted it?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
We have some left over limestone patio pavers that I have used to make a 7m2 area outside my shed. I have cut them where required but the cuts are different to the stones natural edges. That is my only concern with cutting them, but I kept cuts to the outside edges. Depending on what you are cutting them with, it can be hard work and time consuming.

Hope that helps

Thanks.

I decided to go and buy one to find out. 4" battery angle grinder with a diamond disc goes through them like a knife through butter (compared to a concrete roof tile, which is hard work). Cut halfway through, then snap them. Fettle the straight edges with a hammer.

Sponsored Links
Thanks.

I decided to go and buy one to find out. 4" battery angle grinder with a diamond disc goes through them like a knife through butter (compared to a concrete roof tile, which is hard work). Cut halfway through, then snap them. Fettle the straight edges with a hammer.
Yes do the cut on the underside, go half way through or a bit more. If you want a more tumbled edge, chip it with a hammer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back