Cutting down veneered door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I'm planning on cutting down an oak veneered door to fit under under stairs doorframe. The hope is to be able to cut out the bottom rail and "graft" back in. Any tips/hints/tricks? Or should I give up now and just make a straight cut along the bottom?

Plan A in red. Plan B in blue...

upload_2021-5-10_19-11-31.png

Sponsored Links
Thinking was when I make a mess of it it's further away from your eyes! :D

It is possible but for a decent result you will need some tools.

Do you have access to a tracksaw?

Sponsored Links
as it has lipping on both sides that means its just a surface veneer so need to know exact constuction
if its not slid in panels then then may be may be not

I have heard their work is legendary. But there is a long waiting list for such artisan experience.

No track saw.

Being serious, though, the OP needs to determine if the bottom rail can be separated out or not and if the panel can be separated. But the only way to do that is to actually pull the door apart. I agree that a plunge saw and rail are by far the best way to part out the bottom rail as well a to cut the rails down and resize the panel, but this might be risky. Any chance of a close up of the bottom of the door?

There is a strip of veneer at the bottom, but I have a photo of a previously trimmed door. It looks like the profile carries on top to bottom through the whole door.

upload_2021-5-11_8-44-1.png
upload_2021-5-11_8-44-21.png
upload_2021-5-11_8-44-39.png
upload_2021-5-11_8-45-11.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back