Cutting floor tiles already stuck on the floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I tiled the bathroom floor February 2009. They're plain ceramic tiles to my knowledge and I stuck them down with BAL Flex adhesive and grouted with BAL Microcolour with Admix GT1 for flexibility (thought I'd include this info incase it makes a difference).

Unfortunately, being a novice, I've laid the tiles up to the face of the door jam and I need to cut them back in preparation for laying new carpet in the hallway (once I've finished painting the hall).

Can anyone advise on the best way to proceed? I was planning to just purchase this angle grinder, draw a straight line, cover with masking tape and cut.

I also need to cut out a damaged tile in the other bathroom as well as rake out all the grout there as I had a "professional" do that bathroom and it needs re-grouting as the grout has cracked in several places. I thought the same tool used to correct the doorjam could also be used for this.

Here's a picture of the doorjam problem:

View media item 28798

Sponsored Links
You wont be able to cut them once layed, you could try a grinding cutting disc.
As for getting one up without breaking others..it can be done not easy.
You need to just chip away at it from the centre, rack the grout out first

You wont be able to cut them once layed, you could try a grinding cutting disc.
As for getting one up without breaking others..it can be done not easy.
You need to just chip away at it from the centre, rack the grout out first
Grind away 2cm of tile?!

Why can I not cut them? What would happen if I used a diamond disc on the angle grinder? Would it just shatter or fail to cut?

Sponsored Links
the problem with using a grinder is that you wont be able to cut the tiles full length because of cutting into door frame,
Do you have any spare tiles, you could remove the 2 cuts you have at the door and make new cuts with your spare tiles OR try taking those 2 cuts out without breaking them and clean the addy off the back, cut to size then replace

Could you fashion a threshold strip to cover the extra tile depth, and hide the transition from carpet to tile?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back