Cutting into a galvanized water tank.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Im installing a shower and I want to run a cold water supply from the cold water tank, the problem is its a galvanized steel tank about 1 inch thick so how would I cut into this tank, can I use an ordinary hole saw?

Also what tank connector would you use, link would be usefull.

Thankyou.

Sponsored Links
ChrisR said:

Ok so i had a quick look in the dark and the rim of the tank was about 1 inch thick, I should have investigated further :oops: . So we can assume from your reply that its not going to be so thick maybe more a couple of mm. Can you advise me on which tool would be best to cut into it for a 22mm compression tank connector?

Thankyou.

Alanroth said:
can I use an ordinary hole saw?
Yes. As long as your meaning of "ordinary" is that it can cut steel.

BTW, if this were my own cistern I'd take the opportunity to replace it with a plastic one.

Sponsored Links
i agree with softus....replace it now while it still holds water :LOL:

then use a heated copper pipe (15 or 22mm depending on size of fitting) to melt holes in your new tank for your fittings...saves buying a hole saw and getting the drill out the van ;)

nickso said:
then use a heated copper pipe (15 or 22mm depending on size of fitting) to melt holes in your new tank for your fittings.
I can't agree with you on this one nickso - I always advocate following the MIs, which means using a hole saw.

understood softus...each to their own.

ive never had any problems or seen any side effects of melting a hole rather than drilling one and i only do it out of convenience....handy if im soldering the pipework already......if i had the hole saw/drill ready i would probably drill it.

Softus said:
Alanroth said:
can I use an ordinary hole saw?
Yes. As long as your meaning of "ordinary" is that it can cut steel.

BTW, if this were my own cistern I'd take the opportunity to replace it with a plastic one.

Me too, but Its actually the inlaws that want a power shower installed without any extras ;)

FFS tight or what :LOL: buy a starrett holesaw...bloody thing will last a lifetime :rolleyes:

Nige F said:
FFS tight or what :LOL: buy a starrett holesaw...b****y thing will last a lifetime :rolleyes:

lol tight aint the word, will buy that holesaw and try pass the bill over to them :D

Thankyou for all the help guys.

Hi again,

When fitting the compression tank connector do use any compound or silicone or just go with the washer on the fitting?

have a good look inside and around the tank first to see how rusty it is. You will get the blame if it leaks afterwards. It is probably very old.

If you cut a hole in a galvanised tank, make sure you clean out all the metal filings afterwards (a magnet is useful) or the tank will corrode through and start to leak very soon afterwards.

TicklyT said:
If you cut a hole in a galvanised tank, make sure you clean out all the metal filings afterwards (a magnet is useful) or the tank will corrode through and start to leak very soon afterwards.

I will make sure i clean up afterwards, good tip with the magnet. But to my original question would i need any sort of compound/silicone or is just using the rubber washer on the fitting fine?

Thanks.

You shouldn't need to use any paste or silicone. I never use it and never have problems with it leaking.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back