Cutting kitchen pelmets - glossy white

CC

I'm not denying it works well on MDF, solid timber, etc - I carry some in my kit for pelmets, cornices, skirtings, architraves, etc. It's just that carcasses are faced with very smooth, non-permeable melamine hence my doubts that it will withstand a sharp knock

Scrit

Sponsored Links
Chaps,
If it helps any I went and had a better look at how they had done it in the showroom. Was screwed in place from underneath. OK, so you can see the screw heads, but only if you were <3ft tall or were sitting on the floor.

I think I'll probably go down that route unless you come up with anything else. I assume I should still use the mitre mate as well or does it not really matter if I'm screwing in place?

Which is possibly the solution I'd have used - but as I haven't seen the stuff yet.......

Sponsored Links
I'm usually working on "high end" semi bespoke kitchens and 99% of the time we screw from underneath. Countersink just enough for the screw head and it looks perfectly acceptable. The trick is to make it look intentional, so space the screws evenly widthwise & lengthwise.

Mitre Bond will work on impermeable surfaces but we never use it for suspended parts, ie. underneath, due to unreliability.

On the original point about the mitres...If you haven't got access to a good quality mitre saw, get the joint as good as you can and then make good with cellulose wax. A good quality white wax, such as Liberon, works perfectly well on gloss white as long as the gaps aren't too bad.

Thanks for that. I've had a look at the liberon website but there are so many I'm not sure what you mean. I dont suppose you could find what I need and post a link could you?

Also, can this be applied after the event, or does it have to be in place when the mitres are pushed together and fixed?

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back