CUTTING KITCHEN WORKTOP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to cut some kitchen worktops to length and since I want to purchase a circular saw anyway, I wondered if I might to able to purchase one for around £50-£60 which will give me nice clean cuts. What minimum rpm and blades are preferable for these type of cuts. It's not something I do that often so don't want to spend a fortune on one, but don't want a cheap nasty one either.
Also while on the subject, would I cut into the face of the worktop good side up, or upside down?
:D

Sponsored Links
Hand saw will do the job and a lot cheaper. Router is normally used to get a good finish.

Yeah, much cheaper option Foxhole, but I'm interested to know about my circular saw question all the same. Would a new fine cut handsaw be ok then?

Sponsored Links
I cut then with any circular saw blade, upside down, start into the bull nose.

Take it nice and slow and it will be chip free.

A make sure it's fully supported when you go through the last bit, otherwise it will snap and chip.

You can never guarantee a clean straight cut using ant circular saw which ever way up you cut it. Hire a decent 1/2" chuck router and buy a good carbide cutter for cutting worktops. You have already spent good money on the worktops and they will always be in view. Don't dissapoint yourself.

Note if using a router always cut into the bullnose with the leading edge of the cutter. Right hand cut face up, left hand cut face down.

If the router has not got a guide fitted, measure from the edge of the shoe to the cutting edge of the blade, clamp a straight edge to the worktop that distance from the point you require, this will give you the guide distance.

If a guide is fitted then you need to clamp the straight edge to the worktop away from your required length by the distance from the cutting egde and the outside of the guide.

I agree, use a circular saw or hand saw (depending how fit you are feeling) to get it roughly to size then use the router and straightedge to finish to the exact size.

I used a 40 tooth blade in the table saw and Trend TR17DX 1/2" cutter for final trimming. Although the table saw made a clean cut (solid birch) it was so much easier to do the final scribing with a router, and you can guarantee a perfect cut with no chipping.

You can always do a few test cuts with the circular saw first to get a feel for it, you might not get any chipping at all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back