Cutting Lath and Plaster ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any tips on how to cut into lath and plaster ceiling? I want to fit a loft hatch and down lighters but don't want to crack up the ceiling in the process of cutting into it. I had thought of setting in a square of plasterboard for the down lighters but I still have to cut the laths. :confused:

Sponsored Links
This will be a dusty job either way but I would probably favour using a jigsaw and scrap of ply or similar to cut through. Hold your piece of ply against the ceiling and after drilling a start hole through both ply and ceiling for your blade then cut through both together. This acts as a cushion piece to stop any unneccesary vibration on your ceiling and will prevent breakout of the plaster from the lats as it cuts through them.Careful choice of blade may be needed because a fine toothed one will give a less aggressive cut but be wary of cutting with a blade that may be to long if you suspect cables or pipes may be above.

I found it best to find a position between joists and start with a small hole so I could put my finger through to ensure there were no electric wires, then I enlarged the hole until I could get my hand through, I used a small pad saw, cutting across the laths. Also I found the gap between two joists not wide enough so had to cut a section out of a joist and support the cut ends.
It's a dirty job espcially if you have soot to contend with.
Is there not a loft hatch there already?
Having broke through and gaining access I found there was already a hatch, but this was above the staircase and had been boxed in.
Sawing adjacent to a joist was not too bad as the joist gave support but between joists the laths are somewhat springy.
My advice is 'if you don't need to do it, then don't'
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Before you try those, try this .

I bought one and it's brilliant. There is a tungsten blade which will deal with the plaster, then a HSS blade for the wood. It cuts a kerf less than 1mm and the effect on the structure of the ceiling should be minimal.

Thanks oilman, looks interesting but budget is already stretched with so many new tools bought recently so will have to manage without for the moment! :)

You might be able to hire one, it has saved me so much tidying-up work, it would be worth stretching some more.

Christmas is coming, put it about that you'd like one for Christmas and get people to take the socks and gloves back, and club together. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back