Cutting new bathroom window opening

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I will be starting an extension in the new year and im looking at jobs i can do myself to keep costs down.

I fitted all my windows myself which was easy as the opening were there but because of the extension i will have to move my bathroom window on to another wall which will require a new opening cutting in.

I am fitting a window thats only 450mm wide so how do i work out what catnic would be required? The window is upstairs so the load will be from the roof.

Found this information so i know 150mm each side etc

http://www.buildstore.co.uk/materials/catnic.html

Also advice on doing the job would be good, hint and tips etc.

Or just fit an extractor fan instead as we never open window but architect who drew my plans insisted on me fitting a window. Id settle for just an extractor though.

Sponsored Links
Or just fit an extractor fan instead as we never open window but architect who drew my plans insisted on me fitting a window. Id settle for just an extractor though.
I'm sure you would. However, people using this room during daylight hours, including yourself will wish you had a window and especially if there is a power cut etc. You would be a fool not to have one as potential future buyer of your house may think the same.

Anyhoo, 450mm wide is nowt in terms of span so a standard load catnic that is 300mm wider than the opening (the span is so little that you may get away with 100mm end bearings) will likely suffice.

The opening can be cut with a 12" diamond bladed Stihl saw by using guide lathes tacked to the brickwork.

...Or remove the bricks and toothe out and re-build the jambs so that you show intact brick ends.

Fitting the lintel however will require a wider amount of masonry removed as to allow the lintel to slot in and may require needling.

I'm sure you would. However, people using this room during daylight hours, including yourself will wish you had a window and especially if there is a power cut etc. You would be a fool not to have one as potential future buyer of your house may think the same.

Anyhoo, 450mm wide is nowt in terms of span so a standard load catnic that is 300mm wider than the opening (the span is so little that you may get away with 100mm end bearings) will likely suffice.

The opening can be cut with a 12" diamond bladed Stihl saw by using guide lathes tacked to the brickwork.

...Or remove the bricks and toothe out and re-build the jambs so that you show intact brick ends.

Fitting the lintel however will require a wider amount of masonry removed as to allow the lintel to slot in and may require needling.

I agree most people seem to want a window and have said would be put off by the house not having one. I have a tv in bathroom and the window has a black out blind what we never open, it was a moment of madness i do know i need a window so no pi$$ taking required.

Its more advice on the fitting on the lintel i need.

Ive worked out the lintel would need to be 750mm wide (could get away with 650mm) but how do i workout what thickness i needs?

How do i work out the weight that the roof trusses will put on the lintel?

Also the roof trusses run from the from to back of the house but the window is going in the side of the house does that make a difference to anything?

do know i need a window so no pi$$ taking required.
Pi55 taking ???? :confused:

Measure the overall thickness of your wall then deduct the thickness of masonry and that will tell you the cavity size.

All cavity wall style lintels are sold according to cavity size which has been increasing over the years so manufacturers are having to keep up.

You can measure your wall thickness at a door or window reveal.

It sounds as though you have fairly typical standard loads. Give Catnic a call and speak to the teccie department and explain your scenario and they are likely to point you in the right direction.

My feeling is that a standard duty lintel will do fine.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the help.

So fitting the catnic would be done from the outside? Or inside?

Any need to prop up anything?

I read about fitting the catnic then leave it a few days before cutting out the section for the window?

What ill do is take out the bathroom window thats fitted then ill be able to see the thickness i require, the cavity is larger than normal as its a airey house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back