Cutting old copper water pipe back to below wall surface

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old open copper water pipe sticking out of a plastered block wall at right angles, in other words perpendicularly to the wall. The pipe is rigid and does not move.

I would like to cut it below the surface so that the hole can be plastered to make it disapear.

What would be the best way to do this please?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
find out where it is coming from, and cut it off at the supply. otherwise the hidden pipe will eventually leak or be damaged by a nail or screw in the wall.

A min grinder will do the job in seconds, or hammer it flat to reccess it. :)

your best to knock about 10mm 15 off the wall from around the pipe so you can cut the pipe below the surface to avoid the pipe showing when filled or the filler cracking because its to thin

Sponsored Links
Thanks.

After removing the plaster around it, what would be the best way to cut it off? A hacksaw would not be able to get into the recess.

IF you first cut off the supply as I described, it is quite safe and you can bash it flat with a hammer.

You should trace it back properly to make sure it is indeed dead or it will come back to haunt you. :mrgreen:

The pipe has been open for years.

I punctured it several times with a narrow chisel I had to hand and was able to snap it off easily.

Bash the £uck out of it with a hammer - will take seconds and pipe will be squashed int othe dent you have made in the wall. Then fill.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back