Cutting out brick for door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Got a job on at the weekend to make a walk in wardrobe ,this is going to involve cutting out brick and installing a lintol .I have done jobs like these before but usually had a tradseman or foreman on site giving me the odd bit of advice.

The wall is not load bearing and the wall is about 200 mm thick just wondering what type of lintol i should use and weather i will need to support everything as I take it out,with acrolls etc?

any advice wld b appreciated thanks

Sponsored Links
2nr 100 x 65 concrete lintols will do

You only need acro's if there is something which needs supporting! ie a floor or ceiling resting on the wall?

Thanks woody

I think the roof trusses may be resting on it as its the middle wall of the upstairs so I have got 4 acrolls just to make sure nothing moves better safe than sorry I guess.thanks again !

I appreciate ths may not be the correct forum but since am a joiner n a have done a few i would imagine a few people on this page would b able to advise me.

Sponsored Links
Trusses tend not to be supported by internal walls, so do not normally need supporting.

If you do use acros, remember not to tighten them up too much as this will crack the ceiling

Also if its only a few course from the door head to the ceiling, its easier to remove the brickwork and build it back up, rather than try and support it

Av not had a look yet to see for sure if the trusses are on it tbh was just an assumtion . I will have a good look tomorrow before i start taking anything dwn ,got sum off cuts of 10x2 about 1.5m long am planning on putting top n bottom of the acrolls but will make sure not to tighten it up too much. as for the ceiling to door height there is around 800mm so a think if i cut it all with an angle grinder then just chisel away slowly to get the lintol in I should b safe?

Thanks again for the replys!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back