Cutting paving slabs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to cut some paving slabs and was going to buy an angle grinder. However, none of the ones I've looked at specify a maximum cutting depth. Does anyone know what size of angle grinder I need to cut 40mm paving slabs?

Sponsored Links
Agreed, but if you can only get a 115mm one, then cut part way thru then tap with a bolster - the slab will break well enough. It just depends on the quality of the cut edge that you are after. Don't forget, if you cut concrete slabs, you'll simply expose the concrete inner, so arrange for that face to be hidden.

Thanks for the advice. The edges won't be exposed and gaps between slabs will be grouted so I'll probably go for a 115 as they seem to be widely available and considerably cheaper than 230 mm ones.

Sponsored Links
scoring a slab is fine for straight cuts, if you wish to cut a 90 degree section out of the slab, then a 9" angle grinder is a MUST.

Nah, you just gotta be creative!

You don't need to spend a lot on a grinder, in my opinion. I have a 9" one (fnar) that cost a few quid from Q&B, its lasted years without probs. I have been through two Bosch 115s in the same time.

Spend more on the cutting disk, though. A good diamond blade will last and will slice through slabs with ease, without the need for pressure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back