Cutting pergola post in situ

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, hoping for some advice.
I have built the attached pergola using 6x6inch fence posts. Unfortunately one of the upper posts is ever so slightly too long and is pushing the vertical post out so it’s not sitting straight. I probably need to take 2cm off it.
However, they are bloody heavy, and ideally I’d like to avoid taking them down completely.
Does anyone have any ideas how I would cut 2cm off of one end, keeping the other end bolted in? I’d prop it up with another piece of timber to save the post crashing down.
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_3694.jpeg
    IMG_3694.jpeg
    753.6 KB · Views: 44
Sponsored Links
Sorry yes to clarify, one of the horizontal posts is too long causing the vertical post to stand at a slant.
I need to cut 2cm off the horizontal post. Thanns

I can see why you won't be able to use a handsaw, cutting from the inside, but as you get to the end of the cut, you are going to hit the metal and ruin the saw.

That said, I can't see from above. I don't know if the plate runs across the top. If it does, then you can't use a regular saw.

Festool make 78mm blades for their oscillating saw that is 78mm long- but that won't be anywhere as long as you need.

Sponsored Links
To cut a horizontal beam up there you’d need to rest it on two existing beams. Probably use an F clamp to hold it.
While heavy, it’s possibly easier to bring it down? Safer?
The only other option might be a scaff plank long enough to reach side to side, lashed on, and tumble the beam onto it.

The actual cutting is the easy bit. Either a circular saw against a guide on 4 sides or a reciprocating saw/hand saw.

Way easier on the ground

Yeh thanks. 100% easier on the ground, just a dog to get back up 2.5m high again!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back