cutting pipe square

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My wife is a home cheese maker and I am making molds out of six inch diameter plastic drain pipe. How do I cut a length with a perfectly square end. There is not a square end to register off on the length I have. Trying to trim it level by hand or on my band saw is a bit like getting four legs of a chair level.

Sponsored Links
Chop saw or pull through mitre saw, get friendly with a kitchen fitter as the ones capable of that sized material and are true cost £700 plus vat or thereabouts.

If you can find one with a 6" depth of cut!!

Wrap a large sheet of paper around the pipe, when the edges line up that will give you a line that is square, you will still have to cut to that line though. Alternatively rough cut and find someone with a lathe that can trim the end.

Jason

Sponsored Links
Jasonb said:
If you can find one with a 6" depth of cut!!

Wrap a large sheet of paper around the pipe, when the edges line up that will give you a line that is square, you will still have to cut to that line though. Alternatively rough cut and find someone with a lathe that can trim the end.

Jason

Jason,
I just knew there was a simple, logical method. Thank you for your timely help. My wife has returned from the farm who supplies the milk and is making curds as we speak. The pipe/mold will be ready in time!
Kindest regards,
David (cesky is my dog)

A push-on end cap may give you what you want off the shelf.

Note that, if you buy a straight coupler, it will have small tabs inside which are there as stops, for normal coupling. However if you snap them off, the coupler will slide along the pipe, which may be useful as a guide if you're mass producing bits of pipe!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back