Cutting plug off to extend cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi so I need to cut the plug off a ceiling mounted projector screen as it’s too short. Now I am hoping to cut the plug fish cable up to attic then join it to another cable to drop down a pipe chase ( I run all my aerial and satellite cables down this no heat contact) so what junction box and what cable/flex to drop down and then put a plug back on. Screen spec says 90w

Sponsored Links
The first question is whether this is a conventional plug or a "wall wart" power supply.

Most projectors have IEC connectors or figure of 8 leads at a push.
I would be tempted to sort the ceiling with a socket rather than cut and extend a captive lead.
At worst, cut the captive lead shorter if you must.

Be aware that something like HDMI shouldn't be too close to a mains cable

Most projectors have IEC connectors or figure of 8 leads at a push.
I would be tempted to sort the ceiling with a socket rather than cut and extend a captive lead.
At worst, cut the captive lead shorter if you must.

Be aware that something like HDMI shouldn't be too close to a mains cable
Sorry fixed 2.5m lead and atm I have 3 hdmi, satellite aerial running down the pipe chase and a power cable for wall mounted tv

Sponsored Links
You might be better cutting the projector lead short, putting a male line IEC plug on it & dropping a long female IEC lead down the pipe...make any maintenance or replacement a whole lot easier & safer.

Well that was lucky, managed to get it plugged into a socket up in the attic, rather than extending it back down stairs, I was concentrating too much on trying to get it plugged into a tower with all my av gear.
Thanks all

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back