plug top on ceiling void

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im going to have a ceiling mounted speaker system in my house which includes the radio unit to be installed in the ceiling void. Its about the size of a transformer and fits through the hole for the speaker so its accessible. The unit has a plug top and as you cant have a socket in the ceiling void I was thinking what to do.
Im thinking fitting a fused spur on the wall just below the ceiling and run the cable in the wall into the ceiling void. Then cut the plug off and use a choc box to connect the unit to the spur cable ensuring there is enough slack to enable the junction point to be pulled down through the speaker hole in the ceiling thus making it accessible.
Sound about right?
Mike

Sponsored Links
Why don't you just take the cable with the plug cut off directly to the fused connection unit?

If you're going to use choc block anyway, best put it in a choc box.

Thanks. Yes choc block in an enclosure. The lead from the appliance my not be long enough to go directly to the fcu hence the connection in the void.

I take it there is no socket available in the floor above?
Or the possibility of running a fused connection unit spur off a nearby socket in the floor above.

Sponsored Links
Maybe a stupid question, but how do you turn it on and off? When you say plug top, do you mean a wall-wart? If so they can object to the heat and die early if covered in insulation under a flat roof.

Hey, That's neat. Can't you wire it into the lighting circuit?

Why can't you have a socket in the ceiling void?
Because it will be inaccessible.
Its about the size of a transformer and fits through the hole for the speaker so its accessible.
What about having a trailing socket attached to some flex - that could then probably be accessible through the speaker hole, couldn't it? However, as viewer has said, there could be thermal issues (regardless of how you get power to it) if it's a walwart-type-thing buried in insulation.

Kind Regards, John

My ceiling will have ample space below insulation for this unit so no thermal issues there. It looks like its std. 13amp plug not a transformer type. So you are suggesting a trailing socket on the ring main?

It looks like its std. 13amp plug not a transformer type. So you are suggesting a trailing socket on the ring main?
Yes, that's what I was suggesting - or even from a lighting circuit, since I don't think there's any risk of anyone climbing into the ceiling void and trying to plug in a vacuum cleaner or fan heater.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back