Socket from downlight circuit. Is it possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
one objection to using a socket circuit in the the ceiling, is that, unless you are in a bungalow, it is pretty sure to be the circuit that feeds the upstairs sockets. So an innocent person might turn off the ground floor socket circuit, and work on your speaker socket, expecting it to be dead.

A good electrician is supposed to be wary of such things and test every time, but it is a mistake many people have made, once.
I want to do this safely!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
this is not true.
It is very true. Take your head out of the sand and think. Someone may turn off the socket circuits to work on that socket without realising it is on the light circuit. Yes I know one should check for dead but…..

It is very true. Take your head out of the sand and think. Someone may turn off the socket circuits to work on that socket without realising it is on the light circuit. Yes I know one should check for dead but…..
I respect your opinion, and your right to have that opinion. However, as has been said, you really should always make it clear that it IS your opinion, and not fact or regulation. If you're trying to minimise the amount of typing you do, you could always use "IMO".

I respect your opinion, and your right to have that opinion. However, as has been said, you really should always make it clear that it IS your opinion, and not fact or regulation. If you're trying to minimise the amount of typing you do, you could always use "IMO".
I know what you are saying John. You yourself have often said the regs don’t make sense. This is a good example and what I can’t understand is why so many sparks just want to follow this nonsense reg like a load of sheep.

This is a good example and what I can’t understand is why so many sparks just want to follow this nonsense reg like a load of sheep.
...because we have worked out that it doesn't make any difference.

I say again - do you limit the number of sockets on your 32A circuits to two so that no one can plug in more load than the MCB rating?

I know what you are saying John. You yourself have often said the regs don’t make sense.
My opinion is, indeed, that some of the regulations don't appear to make sense - but I have hopefully never intentionally said, or even implied, that such was anything other than my my personal opinion.
This is a good example and what I can’t understand is why so many sparks just want to follow this nonsense reg like a load of sheep.
I don't think one can be too critical of people who, in any field, abide by the relevant regulations/laws/whatever, even if they disagree with those laws/regulations and/or think that they make no sense.

You can write whatever you like about your own views/opinions, provided only that you make it clear that they are your opinions. That's particularly true when (as with BS1363 sockets on lighting circuits) your opinion conflicts with what the relevant regulations say.

Last edited:
I want to do this safely!
Which is fair enough.

If it is reasonably practical to do so, it is preferable for circuits to be arranged in a "least surprise" manner. A 13A socket on the lighting circuit or a socket on a circuit that is "out of area" (e.g. a downstairs socket on an upstairs circuit) goes against least surprise. Equally though, it's impossible to fully protect "idiots with tools" from the consequences of their actions.

One must therefore decide how much if-any additional work and disruption one is prepared to incur in the name of least surprise and/or what other mitigating measures one wants to put into place (for example additional labeling).

...because we have worked out that it doesn't make any difference.

I say again - do you limit the number of sockets on your 32A circuits to two so that no one can plug in more load than the MCB rating?
I have said no. Overloading a socket circuit will not plunge a house into darkness. Nor will someone working on it turn off the wrong circuit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back