3 pin single socket of lighting circuit - fused spur ok?

I believe the RCBO is designed for two things:
1 - to protect the radial circuit from exceeding its power draw. With 1.5 mm cable rated for 15 amps then a 6amp fuse should protect it very well.
2 - to protect the circuit from appliance faults such as power surges or short circuits etc.

2 is not correct , it has an RCD function that detects earth leakage faults.

The RCD function compares the current on the Live conductor with the current on the Neutral conductor. If they are the same but opposite direction ( as they will be in a fault free situation ) then the RCD will not trip. If they are different and that difference is 30 milliAmps or more then the RCD will trip. This happens when current is leaking to ground or elsewhere from the circuit(s) protected by the RCBO.

Sponsored Links
I believe the RCBO is designed for two things:
1 - to protect the radial circuit from exceeding its power draw. With 1.5 mm cable rated for 15 amps then a 6amp fuse should protect it very well.
2 - to protect the circuit from appliance faults such as power surges or short circuits etc.
2 is not correct , it has an RCD function that detects earth leakage faults.
I wouldn't personally say that (2) is actually 'incorrect' - if the 'surges or short circuits' resulted in excessive currents, it would simply be a sub-set of (1). However, as you say, the RCD functionality additionally protects against low current leaks to earth (too low for the over-current functionality of the RCBO to operate).

Kind Regards, John

I guess its a shame u have 2 floors on one rcbo.

But as the socket is hidden it's not exactly an issue

I would want a way to turn off those wall warts
I.e the spur to be switched.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back