plug top on ceiling void

I don't have my BS 7671 with me. Is there a requirement for a socket-outlet to remain accessible?

Sponsored Links
The same way they are if it's mounted on a wall with a heavy piece of furniture in front of it!

I don't have my BS 7671 with me. Is there a requirement for a socket-outlet to remain accessible?
Not specifically, as far as I am aware, unless a plug/socket counts as a 'joint' between conductors. Having said that, if there are two or more cables going to the socket (e.g. if it is part of a ring, or anwhere mut the end of a radial), then that would seem to be no less of a 'joint' than one has in a JB (which has to be accessible, unless 'MF') - so maybe that catches it. Logically, the requirement for accessibility ought to extend to anything involving screw terminal connections to conductors, I suppose.

Furthermore, I have a feeling that there is somewhere a general requirement for all accessories etc. to be available 'for inspection and testing' somewhere - I'll see if I can find it, if no-one else chirps in with the answer. It would certainly be impossible to, say, 'fully test' a ring final if one or more of the sockets was inaccessible.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
The same way they are if it's mounted on a wall with a heavy piece of furniture in front of it!
Indeed, and we've discussed that one before. Behind a heavy piece of furniture (so long as it remains in place) is really just as 'bad' as hidden under floorboards or whatever, and therefore probably ought to be outlawed by the regs on the grounds of inaccessibility. The problem is, of course, that furniture (even heavy furniture) can, and does, move - which makes it a bit difficult to regulate!

However, as I've just written, more generally I think it is reasonable to say that any electrical connection with screwed terminals ought to be subject to the same accessibility requirements (however you wish to interpret them in relation to heavy furniture!) as, say, JBs.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back