Cutting recess in MDF

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been roped into building a craft table for my mother and as I have never done anything like this before, would appreciate some advice please.

The basic construction is a frame with an MDF sheet on top to provide a work surface. As part of it she wants a channel routing round the edge to stop things rolling off the table onto the floor and also wants her cutting mat recessing into the centre of the table.

It is this recessing that is causing me the problems. How would i go about doing this please? The mat is 24" by 12" and approx 4mm thick. (not measured that bit yet)

My current thinking is to use a router and make multiple adjacent passes to make the recess. Does anyone know if this would be practical or if there is a better way of doing it please?

Sponsored Links
you could do it the easy way a sheet of 4mm mdf

with a hole cut out and either laminate onto 2 other layers of 4mm to give you 12mm

or stuck onto 6 or 12mm to give you 10 or 14mm

i would personaly go for a lip on the edge to stop things rolling off

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back