Cutting reclaimed steel beams to size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just wondering - having seen some reasonably priced beams - what the best method of cutting to speced size would be? Disk cutter, recip or are both too slow and best with oxy acytelyn torch or plasma cutter?

Sponsored Links
I've cut steel beams with a 9" electric grinder. It's noisy, fume ridden a lot of effort trying to hold on to a snatching blade and a nightmare for ruining trousers and bootlaces, other than that, easy.:cool:

Unless you're putting a LOT of steel in, metalwork is such a small part of the overall cost of the build that (IMHO) you're better off buying lintels or getting steel from somewhere that'll supply documentation.

If you wave reclaims at a structural engineer or building control they may start asking you what grade the metal is, has it been in a fire, demanding proof tests and other forms of expensive dicking about

Sponsored Links
Get some proper metal CUTTING discs 1.5 -2.0mm thick, no thicker, they cut extremely well and last a reasonable time.
Frank

Yes, the best ones are those really thin discs - often stated as being for "Stainless Steel".

They pop up in packs in Aldi quite regularly.

I find that these in a mini grinder do the job well

But keep the grinder spinning at high speed and don't force it into the cut.. All it does is bog the grinder down, chew through discs faster and put you at risk of one grabbing/snatching and breaking..

..and when the thin ones explode, you don't want to be holding a grinder

And wear appropriate PPE: suitable dust mask, goggles, ear protection, gloves, fire retardant overalls.

Stand with your legs apart and angle the cutter so that the Sparks go between your legs, otherwise you will set yourself on fire!

Thanks... The proof of steel type and not being in a fire has made me a little more cautious on the same.

The steel I was looking at was new and supplied with docs however i now understand the importance of the declaration of conformity or whatever.

I'd never have thought to go to aldi to buy disks.. but to be honest I doubt i ever would even knowing they sold them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back