cutting skirting on the wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently bought some wardrobes that I want flush against the wall but the skirting is in the way. Rather than cur the wardrobes I'm thinking of cutting the skirting away for the width of the wardrobe.

Any suggestions on the best way to cut skirting that is fixed to the wall? I just need to cut 500mm from one corner.

Sponsored Links
I agree.

Here is a link to their site if you need it.

http://www.feinmultimaster.co.uk/products/feintools/multimaster/multimaster.htm

It is an expensive tool to buy but you will be amazed at the number of times you will use it. I would not be without mine.:cool:

I can't justify spending the £87 quid to the wife I'm afraid :(

I think I'm gonna use a stanley to score the skirting first and see how deep i can get using a hand saw without damaging the wall and then use my (blunt) chisel. Sigh. thats half a day gone to remove 500mm of skirting.

Sponsored Links
Simplest way is to reove the skirting.
Mark a line for the cut prior to removing.
Take a bolster and ease the skirting from the wall.
Then get a piece of 4x2 and gut a wedge. Drive wedge between wall and skirting.
The skirting could be scribed at one end, so remove it at the other end.
Use the offcut if required for the internal part of the wardrobe.
If it is a dtud wall mark the studs on the wall prior to fixing.

afterthought.
If you buy a tool you can get a battery sabre saw for about £30 at B@Q

I just use an ordinary tennon saw; cut through the skirting as far as you can without touching the wall as it won’t do the wall or the saw much good. Once you’ve got your cut, carefully pull the section of skirting you don’t want away from the wall starting at the far end; I use 2 pry bars & walk them along the length of the skirting. It should break off along the saw line. Trim any whiskers off against the wall & touch up the end; it should take no more than 10 minutes.

I agree.

Here is a link to their site if you need it.

http://www.feinmultimaster.co.uk/products/feintools/multimaster/multimaster.htm

It is an expensive tool to buy but you will be amazed at the number of times you will use it. I would not be without mine.:cool:

I can't justify spending the £87 quid to the wife I'm afraid :(

I think I'm gonna use a stanley to score the skirting first and see how deep i can get using a hand saw without damaging the wall and then use my (blunt) chisel. Sigh. thats half a day gone to remove 500mm of skirting.

Don't tell her then :LOL:

I just use an ordinary tennon saw; cut through the skirting as far as you can without touching the wall as it won’t do the wall or the saw much good. Once you’ve got your cut, carefully pull the section of skirting you don’t want away from the wall starting at the far end; I use 2 pry bars & walk them along the length of the skirting. It should break off along the saw line. Trim any whiskers off against the wall & touch up the end; it should take no more than 10 minutes.

Hi

I agree; you don’t need to go out a spend money on a tool you will not use again just do it the old fashioned way. And put the money to good use and treat matron to a meal that way you earn brownie points from both.

Hi

I agree; you don’t need to go out a spend money on a tool you will not use again just do it the old fashioned way. And put the money to good use and treat matron to a meal that way you earn brownie points from both.

Its funny how you fully appreciate the importance of brownie points after you get married.

Hi

I think that perhaps the OP doesnt need a mutimaster but it is a hell of a tool and has so many uses, have you seen the range of uses it has.

why not mark the cut with a square, drill to the line with 6mm bit, keeping each hole as close as you can and then remove the rest with a SHARP chisel.If you score across the top of the skirting first, you will not damage the wall finish.

simple and cheap and old fashioned way. Mark the line. cut it as far as possible with a decent saw. Finish the cut through with a sharp chisel. Pull the old stuff away. Jobs done and costs nothing in outlay, providing youve got a saw and a chisel that is!

simple and cheap and old fashioned way. Mark the line. cut it as far as possible with a decent saw. Finish the cut through with a sharp chisel. Pull the old stuff away. Jobs done and costs nothing in outlay, providing youve got a saw and a chisel that is!

Think there's an echo in here ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back