Cutting sleepers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Can anyone offer any guidance of this one for me?

See the attached drawing (the squares are 1metre x 1metre), you can just about see 2 dotted lines running from left to right, the line at the top indicates the top of a slope, the line running along the bottom shows the bottom of the slope. The top of the slope is 1.5m higher than the bottom.

I'm hoping to construct the 'S' shape out of vertical sleepers, and to make things more difficult the 'S' won't be level across the top, I want it to slowly change heights, not stepped down and up, but a gradual smooth slope.

How can I create this?

Ideally I would like to cement all the sleepers in place and then take a chainsaw along the whole thing cutting it to the height that I want, however, I understand even an expert with a chainsaw would have trouble doing that.

Any ideas or guidance would be very much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
The chainsaw might be the best option.

Ive cut my sleepers to length with a circular saw but these were cut before fitting them. You would have to be very very accurate to do it it that way.

you'll not cut through a sleeper with a circular saw, the blades not big enough..they're about 8 inches deep aren't they?

Sponsored Links
To cut a sleeper, mark your cut line all the way round. Cut one side and then turn over and cut again, you will find that there is only 12mm- 18mm holding it together. Then finsih off with a hand saw.

Thats how I done mine.

Andy

I can't see this working, how are you going to fix the sleepers so they can hold back 1.5 metres of earth?

Can't imagine you would ever get a neat cut with a chainsaw.

You will have to chamfer the sides of the sleepers to maintain the curve, so the the convex and the concave sides have matching appearance.

I think you need to build this out of brick/concrete and settle for a decorative wooden fascia.

The sleepers would hold the earth back as per the attached dwg.

Looks like I'd have to settle for the top profile of the sleepers stepping. I could secure the 1st sleeper, put the next in place and measure, take it out and cut it, then cement it in place and then work my way around.

I'd much prefer it if the top of the sleepers had a gentle slope up and down but if it is done badly then it will look rubbish.

Could I use an electric planer or run it along a table saw to chamfer down the long edge of each sleeper so they fit snug to the next as they form the arch do you think?

Do you think this would be realistic to acheive?

don't they make chain toothed grinding disks for profiling wood?

I wouldn't just go out and buy one though, seems a bit vicious and we've already had one grinder Vs wood fatality on here so be warned..

Stepping them will look fine, so long as the elevation from each to the next is kept consistent.

Take a look at:

http://www.railwaysleeper.com/Andy Kyle's railway sleepers & landscaping.htm

Less elevation than you are seeking but similar principle.

Circular saw is the way to go for cutting them to length. If poss get hold of one with a 9.5" blade (Hitachi or Makita have variants). That way a cut on each face will be deep enough to meet in the middle saving any further cutting or trimming requirements.

Thanks to everyone for your help. Thanks spr0cket, the link to the circle of sleepers proves it can be done.

I was thinking of chamfering down each side of each sleeper so each sat snug next to it's neighbour - but I don't think I will need to as they haven't in the example you have sent.

Many thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back