Cutting through a 35mm pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI all, I'd like to get rid of this pipe and fittings from under my stairs. It looks like it was for an old gas boiler or heater of some sort. The pipe is roughly 35mm or 1 1/3 inch in diameter (I've lost my calipers!)

The current gas pipes are copper 15mm which run close to this one but seem to be separate.

Is it possible to open this valve safely, check if there is a gas flow ( I'm predicting not ) and then cut it below floorboard level?

Any advice gladly received.

James

image.jpeg

Sponsored Links
If that pipe is what I think it is, it does not belong to you to do what you like. Get the gas supplier to deal with it.

As above. This is the old gas service pipe and does not belong to you, it is capped so it may be dead or live.

Contacting the gas supplier is the best way.

Daniel.

Thanks. I've contacted the gas supplier and await their response.

Sponsored Links
Under the floor board directly below the vertical pipe is a threaded joint, pictured below. Is it possible and allowed to move the current cap to this joint and seal with either pipe sealing cord or something like rocol gas seal? Or can I just not touch the pipe?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    226 KB · Views: 319
Gas work isn't for the DIYer, even if you did own the pipe! Wait for your person from the distributor to come out..

Nozzle

Once the gas transporter has confirmed the pipe is dead, then they may be able to remove and cap as required. If the pipe remains live, then they will need to excavate outside to cap the connection at the main before proceeding with anything else. Pipework pre meter is at a higher pressure than internal pipework, and no-one other than the gas transporter or their agents is permitted to touch it.

Thank you all for your advice, warnings and saving my life. I'll just be patient and wait for the transporter (National grid in my case).

That was the original gas supply pipe coming into the property from the main in the road. It is quite possible it's dead, and can be safely removed, but regardless of that, it remains a job for National grid.

I was on a job once, laying a new sewer. We came across a small steel gas service under the pavement, which was believed to have fed a former cottage that had been demolished. Transco were working up the road, so they came and had a look and their man said, "Yep, its dead. Pull it out the way."

It didn't go where they thought it did, and was still live..... :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back