35mm Copper Waste for Bath - Connection Help/Advice?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the middle of fitting a new bathroom. The current waste pipe for the bath is 35mm copper, which I know is below the minimum requirement of 40mm for building requirements. The house is really old and was built in the 60’s and hasn’t been touched since so the current system has worked up until now.

Without taking the current waste pipe out and reinstating new pipe work, and with bath wastes nowadays being 1 1/2 is there any way around making this connection?

Would reducing from a 1 1/2 waste down to 1 1/4 to then make a connection with my 35mm waste pipe be that bad? I know reducing waste pipe is not ideal but I don’t know what else I can do?

Any help here would be absolutely brilliant and thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Fit a compression reducing coupler between the two pipes.

Thanks for the reply terry!

So would this reduction cope okay with the amount of flow coming from a 1 1/2 bath waste? Just wanting to make sure before I buy my parts. Cheers

The coupler won't alter the flow thru your existing waste pipe. Even if it did ,would it bother you if it took a few minutes longer to empty the bath !

Sponsored Links
Reducing a bath waste isn't too major a deal in the grand scheme of things. The main problem arises with washing machines etc, where the waste is pumped out, and if the pipework cannot handle the flow, it gets messy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back