CW1308 as RJ45

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear all

I have a CW1308 (I think its 6p) wire running from one room to another and would like to ask if its possible to wire this up as a CAT6 (or CAT5) cable please with RJ45 ends?

Could I ask anyone for a wiring diagram or explanation?

Thank you very much!

Sponsored Links
CW1308 is telephone cable, right? I presume that you're wanting to use this for compter networking.

Two issues: number of conductors, and signal quality.

With only 6 conductors rather than 8, your only option is to connect 4 and get 100 Mbit ethernet. Gigabit requires all 8. I think the devices that you attach should detect that only half the conductors are connected and automatically run at 100 Mbit, bit it's possible that you might need to configure that manually.

100 Mbit ethernet requires "CAT5" signal quality; phone cable is "CAT1". But you might get away with this if the cable run is short, it is not subject to much interference (e.g. It's not run next to mains wiring), and the devices at either end are of good quality. The easiest way to test this is to try it.

It doesn't matter how you wire the plugs as long as you get the correct 4 of the 8 pins and you use pairs correctly.

Personally I wouldn't bother, and would run a new cable.

Another option is to get adaptors specifically designed for this purpose. See e.g. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/HomePNA

Dear all

I have a CW1308 (I think its 6p) wire running from one room to another and would like to ask if its possible to wire this up as a CAT6 (or CAT5) cable please with RJ45 ends?

Could I ask anyone for a wiring diagram or explanation?!

Let me simplify that:

dybleah said:
Is it possible to turn one cable into a totally different type of cable?

The answer is no, however you word it.

That's not true.

For years Russ Andrews has been turning cables worth a few pence per m into ones worth thousands of times as much.

Sponsored Links
Hi,
Thanks for all the replies.
Im only running this for about 10m
I don't need super high speeds, just something wired and near gigabit would be nice. Just for file transfer between a NAS drive and my PC.

If it has 6 pairs of wires, then which one can I omit??

Thanks

I have a CW1308 (I think its 6p) wire ...
You sound uncertain - are you sure its 6-core (3-pair)? AFAIAA, CW1308 is available in many configurations, from 2-pair (4-core) all the way up to 100-pair (200-core), maybe beyond. If you did have more that 3 pairs, some of the answers you've received might change slightly.

I presume your issue is about the hassle of installation - 10m of cat5/6 cable would obviously cost you next-to-nothing?

Kind Regards, John

100 Mbit ethernet requires "CAT5" signal quality; phone cable is "CAT1".

It's probably Cat 3 actually and probably good for 10 Mbps over short distances with luck and a following wind, fingers crossed and if there's an R in the month.

It will cost nothing to put a Cat 5 (or better) faceplate on each end and connect with patch cables, on the basis that if it doesn't work the faceplates and patch cables will be reused when the CW1308 is replaced with proper network cable.

If it has 6 pairs of wires, then which one can I omit??
Ah - I missed that. Do you really mean 6 pairs (i.e. 12 wires), rather than 6 wires (3 pairs)? If you do have 6 pairs, taht would be more than enough for gigabyte data IFthe cable were of an appropriate type.

Kind Regards, John

AFAIAA, CW1308 is available in many configurations, from 2-pair (4-core) all the way up to 100-pair (200-core),

maybe beyond

PHONE%20CABLE%20SMALL.jpg

In larger pair cables as pictured, there is usually only the usuall "40 pair" type cable colours, repeated, in different bundles.

A digger went through a cable in a town near here, and hundreds of buildings lost their phones. When the cable was repaired, MANY pairs ended up being crossed, and customers ended up with someone else's line. They can just then re-provision numbers on the system to correct the errors, except where the pair has been used for a specific service other that PSTN, such as ISDN or Kilostream type services.

Even with the cable repaired and the verge re-instated, it took weeks for businesses to get their lines back as they should be!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back