Cycle Computer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help...

I have a Sigma BC400 cycle computer which I'm trying to set up for wheel size. My wheel size is 26 x 1.75.

Trouble is, despite the instructions, I cannot work out what to do!

Anybody got one?

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
securespark said:
Help...

I have a Sigma BC400 cycle computer which I'm trying to set up for wheel size. My wheel size is 26 x 1.75.

Anybody got one?

Cheers!

you need to program the circumference of the wheel into it. there is usually a guide with it what has the wheel diameters etc

and if you want to make it look like you do more miles than you actually do, add a 2nd magnet (or even 3RD!) to the wheel

When I did mine (not the same make) I put a pencil mark on the edge of the tread and a corresponding one on the ground. Rolled the wheel 1 full revolution and marked the ground again. The distance between the 2 lines (in centimetres) was the figure which I used for set up.

How do your destructions tell you to do it?

The instructions say you can use one of two methods to calculate the figure:

Use their wheel size chart, or use the formula wheel height in cms x 3.14.

The things I don't understand are:

1. The wheel size is 66cm x 3.14= 207.24

2. When I look on the chart the figure is 2070. But the machine only has space for 3 digits.

3. The preset figure is 215. Nowhere on the chart can I find a figure like that.

4. There are different values for tyres of same size as mine, but different thicknesses. However, if you use the cm x pi formula, there is no thickness taken into account.

The r/h column in black is wheel size, and the r/h column in red is headed "WS kmh"
instructions.JPG

Sponsored Links
Tyre section will have effect upon 'rolling radius' due to 'aspect ratio' or profile .. It seems feasible for a bicycle, that the wider the tyre for a given diam. the greater the aspect ratio and hence the rolling radius, mud plugging etc.

eg. Your size 26" x 1.75" (I take it) or 26" x 2.0"

26" = 66.04 Cm base radius = 33.02 Cm

Circumference of 2070 mm(given?) = 207.0 Cm ÷ Pi = 65.89 Cm ÷ 2 = 32.95 rolling radius, very little different to base radius.

But

26" x 1" has a rolling circumference of 1973 mm or 197.3 Cm, working back this gives a rolling rad' of (197.3 ÷ Pi ÷ 2) = 31.4 Cm.

BTW Just a thought 4 digits in mm saves one digit width over Cm to one place. 2070 against 207.0 pits 4 against 5 positions, a print column saver, perhaps??

The narrower tyre has a lower profile.

The other 'red charactered' column I have no suggestion for at all.

All of the above is pure supposition, quite obviously I know naff all about it .. but I have had a 'pop' ... This will force the hand of the 'idle' knowledgeable to come out and jump all over me, but give you the info you need .. ;)

D&J's method of finding the rolling circumference is practical and true, given flat surface, correct tyre pressure and rider on board !!

:D :D

Thanks everybody.

Went to a bike shop, and he did the calc 66 (height from tarmac to top of tyre) x pi = 207.blah

So he entered 207. They have 4 digits so the more accurate computers can be set up with a more accurate measurement.

It works! See other post...

andrew2022 said:
securespark said:
Help...

Anybody got one?

Cheers!

and if you want to make it look like you do more miles than you actually do, add a 2nd magnet (or even 3RD!) to the wheel

I like it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back