cylinder drain down

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
could any tell me what is the most simplest way of draining down a hot water cylinder that doesnt have a drain cock attached to it?

also what would be the best way to remove air lock from cylinder feed? i dont have washing machine so cant use those connectors and i have i have modern taps so cant connect a hose to the cold and hot taps? thank you

Sponsored Links
You need to syphon it.

Long hose and suck :LOL:

Easiest way to clear the air lock is to open the sludge which you don't have so you might have to crack a fitting above the cylinder or try blowing down the feed when the cylinder is empty before you start re-filling it but again you'll have to disconnect it from the tank to do this.

Perhaps it's blocked rather than air-locked?

Close cold feed to cylinder,open all hot taps,undo hot outlet on top of cylinder,get a piece of overflow pipe long enough to reach bottom of cylinder and insert this.
Then push hosepipe inside overflow pipe until it reaches bottom, lift up half inch due to sediment in bottom and syphon out to somewhere lower than cylinder.
Once cylinder is drained it should remove an airlock from cold feed to cylinder but if not once its refilled you can again isolate cold feed, undo lower part of gate valve and insert hose into cold feed pipe and blow down it, should be ok.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back