cylinder with no drain cock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How does one drain a cylinder without a drain cock? My cylinder doesnt have one. I was planning to have it drained down ready for the gas engineer in a weeks time, but fear it may not be that simple . . .

I had thought about maybe cutting off the cold infill above the cylinder top, then attaching a hose to this and bending the pipe (or the cylinder with pipe attached) over to slowly drain it off.

Or even syphoning off the water - stick a hose in the top, take it downstairs and suck!

Of course both these involve far more than my remit of "turning off the mains and opening everything" so I wont be attempting it, but how would you do it?

Sponsored Links
I rarely use the drain off if the cylinder is going to be replaced or done away with. I shut the water off and either syphon out through the outlet or, if this is badly scaled, smack a hole in the top with an old chisel. You get a bit of spillage but a couple of strategically placed old towels saves any mess. The trick to make sure you get right to the bottom without the end getting blocked is to use a length of 15 copper with an elbow on the bottom. Be wary when sucking to start the syphonic action as you normally get a gob full of green water. It also come out at one hell of a rate so be careful where you're draining out to.

Is there really that much sediment in the bottom of a cylinder? For DHW?

Sponsored Links
:p I got softened water dude .

37259-Clipart-Illustration-Of-A-Mad-Person-Flipping-The-Bird.jpg

:cool:

opps - that picture was bigger than i though :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back