Cylinder/heating won't turn off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've recently moved into a new house with a traditional heating system (header tank in loft, cylinder in airing cupboard, and boiler).
I'm having a problem in that the hot water cylinder won't turn off completely at all at the moment, even when the central heating is switched to 'off' at the controls. Switching the programmer to off will turn off all the radiators except the one in the bathroom which just keeps going forever and is very hot. Is there any way I can turn off the heating manually?
There are two switches on the wall next to the cylinder (one a normal plug socket and the other a fuse switch), but I don't know what switching these off will do – is it safe to try?
I don't want it to keep using up gas constantly, and the sound of it being on throughout the day and night is a little irritating. Any advice would be much appreciated! I've attached some images of the inside oft he cupboard with the cylinder if that helps.
Many thanks,
Peter
20220107_110949.jpg
20220107_095757 (1).jpg
20220107_095757 (1).jpg
20220107_095753.jpg
20220107_095750.jpg
20220107_095757.jpg

Sponsored Links
There is a good chance one of the 2port valves you have is stuck in the on position, I can’t see exactly but I think it’s the top one that’s doing your hot water.

As above. Trace wire back from Top Motorised valve, with power off, unplug it at the connector and see if that switches things off. The Motorised Valves contain a Microswitch which, as the valve powers opens on command from the Timeclock and appropriate thermostat, switches power through to the boiler and pump in order to operate them both. If the valve has stuck open, (or the switch is stuck closed), then power will continue to be put through to the boiler and pump regardless of timeclock and thermostat settings.

They look like Drayton Valves, in which case the head should remove by pressing the black button on the side. If you can remove the head, try moving the now exposed spindle gently with a pair of pliers. (It wont move much in either direction, but anything more than gentle force would indicate valve is seized, full replacement required. If spindle is fairly easy to move then you could get away with a new Motor head.)

Thanks for the replies. Would it be possible for me to just manually close the upper of the two Drayton valves? Pictures
20220107_173815.jpg
20220107_173810.jpg
attached - I think it's currently stuck in the open position.

Sponsored Links
Weird, on one of the photos it’s appears to be at position A, but another it’s at position B? :confused:

Thanks for the replies. Would it be possible for me to just manually close the upper of the two Drayton valves? I think it's currently stuck in the open position.

You can try, but I would check the spindle is free to move before trying to force anything. If you remove the head, listen for the workings to 'whirr' shut as they return under the spring tension. If Motor head is open you should be able to see/hear it operate when HW is switched on and off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back