Cylinder replacement questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am fitting a new hot water tank for my neighbour, this weekend.

The old one is in a very tight space, I am wondering if there are any tips to make it easier to connect the pipes to the old one? My problem is the cold feed connection is round the back and the space is minimal, if not impossible!

Also as well as using ptfe around the threads to the cylinder, is hawk white (potable) any good?? Of course the hawk white (original) is not for potable water so I cannot use it.

The second point, I am installing a normal 117 Litre cylinder, pre-lagged, the system is fed from a cold water tank in the loft and the primary circuit is open vented (header tank also in loft).

She was talking about having a new boiler fitted (later in the year and the header tank removed). As I won't be fitting the new boiler for obvious reasons, my concern is will the same hot water cylinder I am fitting this weekend be able to withstand a sealed system pressure ?? Or will a different cylinder be required for the higher pressure?

Te new cylinder is standard, has prim flow and return tappings, hot tapping for a shower to side/top half, cold feed connection and vent/hot water dist draw off connection at top.

Sponsored Links
jackecole";p="1460560 said:
I
The old one is in a very tight space, I am wondering if there are any tips to make it easier to connect the pipes to the old one? My problem is the cold feed connection is round the back and the space is minimal, if not impossible!

Also as well as using ptfe around the threads to the cylinder, is hawk white (potable) any good?? Of course the hawk white (original) is not for potable water so I cannot use it.

, I would never suggest that using hemp and boss/hawk white would be considerably better than ptfe etc. and ensure a first time joint ...because I would be contravening all sorts of laws . But it always used to be done like that Potable/wholesome water or not. Nor would I tell you that we used to screw the fitting into the cylinder and have a piece of pipe sticking up above .where you could get at it - before pushing the assembly into position and then - Soldering with leaded solder :eek: ...No, Things are so much safer now .

Nige F";p="1460648 said:
I

, I would never suggest that using hemp and boss/hawk white would be considerably better than ptfe etc. and ensure a first time joint ...because I would be contravening all sorts of laws . But it always used to be done like that Potable/wholesome water or not. Nor would I tell you that we used to screw the fitting into the cylinder and have a piece of pipe sticking up above .where you could get at it - before pushing the assembly into position and then - Soldering with leaded solder :eek: ...No, Things are so much safer now .

lol-022.gif

shot nige ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back