'D' handle or 'Pistol' handle rotary hammers for DIYers?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've found some of the D-handle type rotary hammers to be smaller in length than the pistol-handle type. Of course, the former has more power & weight, and sometimes reduced-vibration technology.

Has anyone used these D-type hammers for strictly DIY stuff, and found them to be advantageous over the pistol-handle types? I am assuming that the D-types being a few mm shorter, can be of some benefit. I've attached relevant pictures for reference.

D-handle type:
View media item 37235

Pistol-handle type:
View media item 37236

Sponsored Links
I don't think either is much different in use as you tend to use both hands and so they both feel the same, with no balance or power issues when you are drilling

If you look at the specifications for any SDS, then its the Joules that matter more than anything, as that is the actual force that the drill can make. And you can get a high rate with either design

@^woody^: yes, both the designs have almost similar specifications, that's why i was thinking if i should draw the comparison at design level.

Sponsored Links
Down to personnel perference then really. As said you are most likely to use both hands but myself I find the pistol type to be easier to use on those times when your other hand is perhaps holding that piece of timber that you're actually trying to fix. No doubt others will feel completely the opposite :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back