DAB radio switches off when other appliances switched on...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Hope someone can help out here....

I have a DAB radio plugged in in my kitchen which switches onto standby when I switch the toaster on or flick the switch at the plug to the toaster. It is not on the same socket as the toaster but the two sockets are on the same ring main.

The radio has also switched off a couple of times when it is possible something else was switched on/off elsewhere in the house, although I haven't managed to make this happen so can't be sure.

We also have a coffee maker plugged into a two-way extension with the DAB radio. When I flick the toaster switch both appliances switch off briefly leaving the clock on the coffee machine flashing and the radio on standby, as if there has been a small power cut. If the coffee machine is not on the adaptor with the DAB it is not affected by flicking the toaster switch. The DAB is affected whether the coffee machine is there or not.

Is this likely to be a serious problem with our wiring being highlighted by one appliance which is more sensitive than the others? or an oversensitive appliance being affected by normal 'fluctuations'?

I'm sorry this is such a long post, but if anyone can offer any advice I'd be very grateful!

Cheers,

Cath

Sponsored Links
Does the radio do the same when plugged into the socket - without using the extension lead?

If it does then try it in a different socket. Let us know the outcome.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, the radio does it when plugged directly into the socket without the extension, but the coffee machine doesn't do it at all unless it is on the extension with the radio.

I tried the radio on a socket in a different room and couldn't make it do it at all.

I just tried plugging the radio into the 'toaster socket', and tried flicking the switch on the socket which the radio is usually plugged into and nothing happened. Also not affected by flicking the other switch on the toaster socket, which is a double.

It only seems to be one specific appliance and one specific socket... :confused:

I can only suggest a very loose connection in the original socket used.
Either the wiring connections or the metal spring tabs inside the socket.

Try fitting a new socket if the wiring is alright .

Don't forget to turn off the power.

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't think that would apply to a coffee machine.
Rather than a surge or spike I think the power is being cut momentarily by a really poor connection.

Have you another appliance with a digital clock which you could plug into the socket?

Also, plug the kettle into the socket and see if it works properly - you may hear it crackling.

I would suspect the connections to the socket where the toaster is plugged in. Flicking the switch might cause enough vibration to break a poor connection. ( the other swich in the double may not have the same vibration effect ).

If that is the case I doubt it is a ring ( or it is a ring with an other fault ) as a single break in a ring wouldn't disconnect power to other sockets.

Yes, I wasn't thinking about the toaster socket.

CatherineH

What happens if you plug the toaster into another socket or..

something else into the toaster socket?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back