Switching off socket trips rcd

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

Have a washing machine plugged into a socket in the kitchen. Modern machine with computerised timer/display.

Twice in the past three months the washing machine has finished, I've turned the washing machine off at the machine hence LCD displays go off. Then I turn off the switch on the wall and as I'm flicking the switch, it trips the rcd.

The machine is in use a few times a week and has finished a cycle today with zero problems..

It's a 2gang DP socket with a power supply transformer for my radio plugged into (and switched on) the other side of the socket.

Is replacing the socket likely to solve the problem or is it likely to be something else please?

If its likely to be the socket, what's the best recommended make at the moment?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Replace the socket (switch contacts could be worn/dirty and hence arcing) and ensure that you verify polarity after fitting the replacement (which should be done anyway!!)

Can you plug the washing machine into another socket on the same circuit,(via a short extension lead if necessary), and see if it still happens. If it does then you can rule out the socket being at fault.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back