Dado 3 compartment or Maxi trunking - home office - use singles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Geometrically speaking, would you say that a ring (circle) consists of two lines.
I think this really is getting a bit silly. We're not talking about geometry but, in context (since it's what matters to HIE), about multiplicity/redundancy of paths from a point on the ring back to the CU earth bar. Although, geometrically, a ring/circle is only one line, there are two (curved) 'lines' (aka 'paths') between any two points on the ring/circle.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I think one of the confusions is resulting from the fact that BAS seemingly perceives a difference between "Protective Conductor" and "Circuit Protective Conductor",
Isn't it you who is making this distinction?

The fact that the CPC of a ring final is required to be a the ring does not alter the fact that, when viewed from any point in the ring, there are two individual CPCs (which happen to be part of a ring) from that point back to the origin of the circuit. In other words, a single ring satisfies all of the regulations.
If you think you have two separate cpcs then you must be able to completely remove one separate one and have one separate one remaining. Can you do that?

I think one of the confusions is resulting from the fact that BAS seemingly perceives a difference between "Protective Conductor" and "Circuit Protective Conductor",
Isn't it you who is making this distinction?
No, because I regard the two terms as interchangeable. If the context is 'a circuit', then when, as is the quote from me you include, I type 'CPC' (since it's less to type), I might just as easily have typed "protective conductor".

If I understand BAS's reasoning (and use of the terms) correctly, I think he probably believes that a standard circuit has just one "CPC" (no matter what topology/configuration it may have), but that it may consist of two or more "protective conductors". Hence all this tedious "one or two" debate!

In terms of BS7671 definitions, a "CPC" is simply a subset of "Protective conductor" (namely one that applies to (i) and (iii) of the defintion of the latter - i.e. nearly all 'protective conductors' other than Earthing Conductors and Bonding Coinductors). Hence, if the context is 'a circuit', then the BS7671 definitions of the two are identical

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
…but it does matter if it is a ring or radial.
So that's a "no I won't answer" then.
It was answered but I'll spell it out.

If it is a radial, then you have an additional, extra, second, supplementary protective conductor, therefore two in parallel. (M6 + M6 toll)
If it is a ring, then you do not; you only have one protective conductor in a ring. (M25)

Plus - in your diagram, there should be a yellow line between the socket terminals.
That's rich - you drew the original it's adapted from !
Not I. I think you are confusing me with someone else.

So that's a "no I won't answer" then.
It was answered but I'll spell it out. ..<another quote> .. Not I. I think you are confusing me with someone else.
The quoting in Simon's post seems to have been incorrectly edited. It would appear that Simon was actually responding to BAS (not you) and, although the quotes were attributed to you in his post, they were actually quotes of a post by BAS.

Kind Regards, John

I do think that this discussion is getting far more complicated than it needs to be, in relation to what I personally regard as a fairly simple situation...

The major approach of all of 543.7 is that the best/simplest way of achieving HIE is to have at least two paths from each socket/whatever back to the CU earth bar. A ring final circuit already has that, but a radial doesn't. With a ring final one therefore only has to attend to the 'separate terminal' issue (in order to satisfy 543.7.1.204) to get HIE, whereas with a radial one has to add that second path. Simples.

The rest of the discussion seems like the work of a law students' debating society, arguing about whether or not all the words of the regs strictly reflect the electrically sensible interpretation/ approach above (which I still think nearly everyone believes)

Kind Regards, John

That's the BAS argument. As you know as well as I do, "the CPC" of a ring final circuit is, in fact, several separate protective conductors which are connected together (at sockets or other accessories) so as to form a ring. Call that "ONE cpc" if you wish - but I think you (and BAS) are talking pure semantics.
That will be semantics as in "the branch of linguistics and logic concerned with meaning", will it?

If so, guilty as charged. You may well consider that being concerned with what words mean as something deserving criticism, as it would naturally tend to limit your freedom to assign your own "meaning" to things when you, for some unaccountable reason, think it should not be the meaning of the words as actually written.

But I don't see how there can possibly be anything wrong with being concerned about what words mean, and applying lingustics and logic. It seems to me that anybody who does think that is the wrong approach is in favour of ignoring linguistics (which includes dictionary definitions, colloquial definitions etc) and of being illogical in the analysis of the text in question.

Yep - and once they are connected (at a socket), they become a (single) 'CPC ring'.
Indeed.

And 543.7.1.203(iii) says you have to have two of them.

Two individual ones.

Two individual cpcs, EACH of which, i.e. EACH ONE ON ITS OWN has to comply with 543.2.9.

And 543.2.9 says that the cpcs of ring final circuits have to be rings themselves. So if you are required to have two individual cpcs, and EACH ONE has to be a ring then you have to have two rings.

Are you going to say that those "TWO individual protective conductors" are actually "ONE cpc". If not, why does a 'CPC ring' constitute "ONE cpc" in one case and two CPCs in the other case?
When does it constitute "ONE cpc" in one case and two CPCs in the other case?

Simple question for BAS - how many CPCs in this diagram ?
I've asked him that repeatedly
Repeatedly?

Not sure you have.

But in any event, have you asked it as often as I have asked you to draw an arrangement which you consider contains two individual cpcs each of which is a ring, and then show how you can remove one of the individual cpcs leaving the other individual cpc and it still be a ring?

If a circuit is required to have the cpc (in the singular, i.e. one cpc, a cpc) in the form of a ring (as required by 543.2.9), how does a regulation calling for two individual cpcs suddenly mean only one cpc?

If a circuit is required to have the cpc (in the singular, i.e. one cpc, a cpc) in the form of a ring (as required by 543.2.9), how does a regulation calling for two individual cpcs suddenly mean only one cpc?
Because of the semantics. What is being called "the CPC" of a ring final circuit (a single ring) will be made up of two protective conductors ("the two PCs", if you like) leaving each point in the circuit and heading back, independently, to the CU earth bar.

Kind Regards, John

I think that you and BAS are over-interpreting "the CPC'.
I'm not. I'm doing quite the reverse. It is you who is "over-interpreting" it by going on about it being lots of cmall cpcs so it can't be "a" cpc, or how it has 2 paths so it can be regarded as 2 cpcs.

I'm just looking at it as "the cpc", in the same way that everybody does when they talk about "continuity of the cpc", or "does the lighting circuit have a cpc?"

For a radial sockets circuit, all one has to do is to turn the 'single CPC' into a 'single CPC ring' to satisfy the regs.
Yes - that makes it of "higher integrity" than a standard radial cpc.

Or, with radials, you may use 2 x the number of normal cpcs in order to achieve higher integrity, i.e. 2 radial ones.

Just like with 2 ring finals, you use 2 x the number of normal cpcs in order to achieve higher integrity, i.e. 2 ring ones.

It is both so obviously what the regulations actually say, and so logical and consistent, that it beggars belief that you flatly refuse to accept it.

OK, it's still not a ring in terms of L and N, but that's not relevant - there is no conceivable electrical reason I can think of that a string of sockets only needs one 'CPC ring' if the L&N don't return to the CU from the last socket but does need two CPC rings if the L&N do return to the CU - can you?
No more and no less than I can explain why a normal, standard-integrity ring has to have a ring cpc. It it not supposed to carry any significant current, and we all know that with just one path for pc current it is perfectly OK for fault protection, so there is no conceivable electrical reason that I can think of why a string of sockets needs a ring cpc when L&N are a ring. Can you?

But it does - the regulations say so, so it has one. The integrity of the earthing that that provides is often cited as an advantage of ring finals, BTW, and that is what is considered to be "standard integrity earthing". Just as "standard integrity earthing" for a radial has one radial cpc. And just as one option for "high integrity earthing" for a radial is twice as many radial cpcs, one option for "high integrity earthing" for a ring is twice as many ring cpcs.

What I don't understand is that BAS (and now maybe you) are arguing about the words of the regs in a manner that results in him (and now maybe you) concluding that there is a requirement to do something which I strongly suspect no-one, or virtually no-one, does, or has ever done.
I can't speak for EFLI, but what I am arguing for is recognition of what the regulations actually say. And as I have said more than once, I find it unfathomable that so many people either refuse to recognise what they actually say, or they do but then decide that because they don't like, or agree with, or understand what they say they will proceed on the basis that the regulations don't mean what they actually say, and that compliance with them can be achieved by ignoring what they actually say and doing things which they do not actually say.

I suppose it was me that started out, but I was talking about something that seems to be far more of an anomoly - that for a non-sockets circuit, one can satisfy the requirement for HI earthing simply by having a (single) 10mm² CPC - which sounds neither sensible nor safe to me, since mechanical breakage of the CPC (which is about the only useful issue a high-CSA CPC would address) is a very unlikely cause of a hazard arising.
Maybe it is, and maybe it isn't. But that is what the regulations say - there are different ways to achieve HI earthing. One is larger csa, another is twice the normal number of separate cpcs, i.e. adding one which is just like the normal one, i.e. adding a second radial cpc to a circuit which normally has one radial cpc, or adding a second ring cpc to a circuit which normally has one ring cpc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back