dado angles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im fixing a dado to run up the stairs. First it runs straight along a wall into a corner before it then runs up the stairs on another wall.
If it was just running straight along two walls I could just do a simple 45 degree cut for a corner but the corner cut I need is obviously on a 45 and then twisting up...how do I do it?

Sponsored Links
in a word doing it properly you can't change angles on two plains at once
you need to seperate them by a few inches

somtimes that will mean you start the rise around the corner or a vertical section to line the parts up properly at the correct height if the step is at the corner

i'd agree that can't be done. The reason being that if you had dado that was 50mm wide and you make a 90deg cut, the cut length is 50mm, whereas if you make a 45deg cut, the cut length is 70.7mm so they don't sit together. The answer is always to halve the angle and make two cuts the same angle, thereby giving the same cut length.

In your scenario, you're ok in one plane, where the walls come together you can cut two 45deg, but where the dado comes down the stairs, you're gonna have a 50deg(ish) cut running into the corner where it will meet a 90deg cut so they won't match.

The solution is to run horizontally into the corner, come out the other side horizontally for 4 or 5 inches, and then change angle to run up the stairs.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back