Struggling with mitre cuts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Basically, I’m trying to add a dado rail that runs parallel to the staircase. The bit I’m stuck on, is how to cut the two parts that meet in the corner.

Hopefully the photo will make sense, but going up the stairs, the incline is 118 degrees into the corner, and then 72 degrees out. The internal corner itself is 90 degrees.

No matter how I’ve cut it, I can’t get a neat join. In my head, I thought simply cutting the mitres at 118 and 72, with a 45 degree bevel would work. It doesn’t.

Can someone please help!?

Thanks

0D8A007E-B92D-411F-9595-DE4BB49CD41C.jpeg

Sponsored Links
You could always scribe the joint. Even then it won't work perfectly as you are attempting to get a moulding to translate through a compound angle

the trouble you have is you are trying to join on two different planes at once
unless you split them and have them a few inches apart it will never look right
this means transferring the angle change a few inches away from the corner

Ok thanks for your advice. Obviously couldn't get my head around it as it's not possible! I'll go for plan b and use small lengths for the corner and then use the correct angle on the end of them. Thanks again

Sponsored Links
Having just put up a dado for the first time, I would second going for a scribe on that - you can always take off more gradually to get it to fit. I also found that drawing on the wall helped and using a sliding bevel made everything easier for the inclines.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back