Dado rail from hall up stairs...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help please....

How do i cut the straight section from the hallway to the angled section that travels up the stair wall.....because the stairwall dado is already angled at 45 degrees im having difficulty getting them to join without the dado pattern being out of line ....anyone ????

worst thing is rugby's on soon and i promised the wife it would be done today...gahhhhh

Sponsored Links
stairs rarely run at 45 deg, it's regarded as too steep. therefore, if your stairs don't run at 45 deg then you must bisect the angle to find the right cut.

lol ive just cut one out m8....but the worst thing is i think im over complicating it cos i just dont get it...cos 2 pieces of card ...same width lined up ...mitres ready lol...babies crying....kids going mad...and im trying to work out this angle so i can get rid of them ...lmao

please take pity on me and give me " stupid idiot " directions lol..i wont take offence honestly...

Sponsored Links
just sat there for a few minutes in the quiet and got it ..dohh feel like a right idiot....

SLiding bevel is definitely the way - I did this very job this weekend like this...

1. Mark a pencil line on the wall following the line of the dado in the hall
2. Mark a similar line down the stairs long enough that it cross the line in the hall.
3. Using a sliding bevel or other clever tool, bisect (cut in half) the angle where the two lines meet.

The resultant angle is the angle you need to cut on your dado and your pattern will match.

I must admit that I did the setting of the bevel by eye and the resulting cut in the wood was correct to a mm or two.

The angle at the top of the stairs should be exactly the same as that at the bottom - as long as your dado is parallell with the stairs!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back