dado rail up stairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can someone help please.
i want to fit dado around my hallway and then continue upstairs with it, but what is the correct height around the hall, is way too low on the stairs, its down by my feetwell about 12 inches above the actual steps, is there a way of doing this so that it is higher up whilst keeping the continuity
thanks
Bill

Sponsored Links
why is it down by your feet!!!!!!! ;)

assuming your dado rail is at banister height[ 900- 1000] you carry this line up and down the stiars and where this intersets with the level dado thats where you mitre
i am assuming you have to go round a corner in your case and your trying to change directions on the corner when in actual fact you need to change direction "away "from the corner

It whatever height you decide on in your hallway (900mm-!000mm).Then this measurement is measured at 90degrees of the top and bottom of the stairs ,you can get the angle by laying a piece of sheet board on the stairs.
Join up these 2 marks on the staircase and like Big-Al says this will intersect the level line in the hallway .THese will be the lines to follow for your dado

i have matched the height of the dado in the hall to the height of the dado in my living room about 1300mm high. when i turn to go upthe stairs it is about 460mm above the skirting ( for want of the right word ) that goes up the side of the stairs.

big al
what do you mean by change direction away from the corner

thanks

Sponsored Links
I don't understand that.

Lets suppose you have a hall wall. the stairs go up at a right angle to this wall. The stairs have a wall at one side. The dado on the wall of the hall is 900mm above the floor. At the corner it is 900mm above the floor of the hall, if you follow it round the corner with a 45 degree angle or whatever to match the stairs, why is it not 900mm above the stairs as it goes up? Is it because the stairs project beyond the face of the wall?

billozz said:
i have matched the height of the dado in the hall to the height of the dado in my living room about 1300mm high. when i turn to go upthe stairs it is about 460mm above the skirting ( for want of the right word ) that goes up the side of the stairs.

big al
what do you mean by change direction away from the corner

thanks

ok you need to carry on at the same stair angle untill it meets [disects] the level dado
do a chalk line down the stairs[bit off string chalked up held firmly at both ends at the hight required on the stairs then ping to leave a line]

if this is round a corner and along the strait then so be it

the only real choice you have if they are going to meet on a wall away from the stairs and you dont want them too is to increase the angle drasticly at the stair bottom to meet up[which will look poo]

or do return ends and dont connect them

i am like johnd assuming the last 2 stairs come past the wall the stairs are connected to

i am not sure i understand it myself to be honest, but if i hold a straight edge alongside the line i have drawn for the dado in the hall, and then turn the straight edge to go upstairs at the angle of the stairs whilst intersecting the line in the hall this looks to be very low to me certainly not 1300mm as i said before its less than 500mm, i am sure i am missing summat

is there anyway i canposta pic can you tell me how to and i will post a pic to show you what i mean
thanks again guys

do not carry on the line in the hall up the stairs at the corner you will always get the same answer

you need to start rising 2 or 3 feet earlier [the earlier the higher it will be]

sorry do you mean that the dado in the hall has to slope ???? that cant be right surely

billozz said:
sorry do you mean that the dado in the hall has to slope ???? that cant be right surely

well read my answer above please :D :D ;)

i did read it and as i said it seems to imply that the dado in the hall should slope upwards as you go towards the stairs so that it will be higher when you reach them, but i think i must have misunderstood because you cant have dado that slopes can you?????

billozz said:
i did read it and as i said it seems to imply that the dado in the hall should slope upwards as you go towards the stairs so that it will be higher when you reach them, but i think i must have misunderstood because you cant have dado that slopes can you?????

well short of increasing angles or stopping the dados at different levels[and possibly joining them verticaly]

you other option is to extend the brick wall to the natural point where the lines would disect ;)

so theres your options yes if you want them to meet at natural angles you have no option but to join around the corner :D ;)

big all,
what do you mean by joining them vertically
thanks again

billozz said:
big all,
what do you mean by joining them vertically
thanks again

basicly as you come down the stairs about 4" before the end off the wall turn the dado through 48% deg or whatever to bring it strait down the wall to meet at right angles with the level dado thats just come round the corner

but the more usual solution is just to do a return end on each at there own levels one above the other [on the corner in this case]and iff you have a different decorative finnish top and bottom it would terminate in a strait line verticaly on the corner in this instance

a return end is where the end is mitred at 45% and another piece added at 90% so it dissapears into the wall[level with]

I think it will be less confusing for you, if you set out the stairs first ,the measurement is 1300mm at a 90degree angle to the stairs ,draw this line on the wall past the the bottom and the top of the stairs .
THen draw a level line around your hallway at 1300mm these lines will now intersect .This is now the line you should follow with your dado

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back