dado rail up stairs

And if you really can't make them join up elegantly, put a stop-end on each. A half-round end might look good, if you do a square one, chamfer off the edges.

Sponsored Links
I'm guessing the starting point of the angle at the bottom of the staircase is wrong.

Diyisfun said:
If the dado rail is to go up a stairway, measure the required height for the rail at the points (top and bottom of the stairs) where the skirting board changes direction for the stairway, and use a chalked line between these marks to set the line for the rail.

The above was taken from http://www.practicaldiy.com/carpentry/dado_rails/dado_rail.php[/QUOTE]

That will not work and is not a very accurate way of marking out a stairway .the measurement on the stairs should be 90degrees of the angle of the staicase .Simple as that :)

Sponsored Links
Splinter wrote
That will not work and is not a very accurate way of marking out a stairway .the measurement on the stairs should be 90degrees of the angle of the staicase
90 degrees of the angle will give a vertical line.
Diyisfun wrote:
If the dado rail is to go up a stairway, measure the required height for the rail at the points (top and bottom of the stairs) where the skirting board changes direction for the stairway, and use a chalked line between these marks to set the line for the rail.
This gives the height of the dado

Diyisfun said:
Splinter wrote
That will not work and is not a very accurate way of marking out a stairway .the measurement on the stairs should be 90degrees of the angle of the staicase
90 degrees of the angle will give a vertical line.
Diyisfun wrote:
This gives the height of the dado

A measurement at 90 degrees of the staircase will give a paraell line (which is right) not a veritical line, no where in your post does it mention a measurement taken at 90 degrees of the staircase :)

Splinter..Dont shot the messenger, I sent an extract & link from a web page. As reading the post the poster seemed confused.
Both ways will work.
When I did mine, I measured at 90 to the stairs & where it bisected the dado that was the change in direction.
I am not a pro, just a meticulous DIYer (well was this house finished now)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back