Daily bathroom wipe down

The fan you got from ebay sucks 90litres of air from what it says, I think the bigger fans that I got was I think was 400 litres of air per minute, but don't quote me on that

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply deniance. But my fan spec says
Extract Performance - 90 m3/hr 25L/sec

From looking at other fans, including vent axia, they all seem to be around 70 to 95m3/hr. So 90 seems to be good. What kind of extract performance figures should I be looking at then?

edit: ah, just saw your reply above after I posted this.
Anyway, there doesn't seem to be any SELV fans that I can find with 400m3/hr. If you can find me one, I'd be grateful.

i think you may be out of luck, as you have no attic, , where is your current fan, where is it vented to? and where is the little electric box placed (the one thats in the ebay picture beside the fan), the more powerful fans generally are bigger, the main reasons for selv fans are to keep the voltage bit of your fan away from the shower or bath area, so you cannot touch them and get a shock, thats what the little box does, it keeps the mains voltage away from you and the fan and supplys a harmless voltage down to the fan, also you need to get maximum performance from your fan, for instance if your fan sucks 90 litres out of the bathroom through a 4 inch hole, then air has to be sucked INTO the room from somewhere else to replace it, ie 4 inchs worth of a gap somewhere, like under the door or window vent, if it cannot suck in as much as it is sucking out then performance will reduce

i think you may be out of luck, as you have no attic, , where is your current fan, where is it vented to? and where is the little electric box placed (the one thats in the ebay picture beside the fan), the more powerful fans generally are bigger, the main reasons for selv fans are to keep the voltage bit of your fan away from the shower or bath area, so you cannot touch them and get a shock, thats what the little box does, it keeps the mains voltage away from you and the fan and supplys a harmless voltage down to the fan, also you need to get maximum performance from your fan, for instance if your fan sucks 90 litres out of the bathroom through a 4 inch hole, then air has to be sucked INTO the room from somewhere else to replace it, ie 4 inchs worth of a gap somewhere, like under the door or window vent, if it cannot suck in as much as it is sucking out then performance will reduce

You can see the fan top left in my picture here. http://i.imgur.com/bq1UF0c.jpg

It's vented to the outside via a large hole. It's a tiny bathroom, what you see there is only about 5' width. And it's not much bigger lengthwise. The door is behind me. Maybe I should keep the door open during and after showering?

The transformer is fitted just outside the bathroom in my hall.

Sponsored Links
Ah, now I see, you might be outta luck then, looks like you will need a selv fan wherever in that size room, only options are try and find a better fan, or you could try putting a 4inch vent in your door low down to increase or match air flow of the fan, so its replacing as much air as its displacing, if that makes any sense, don't think it will rid you of condensation on cold items in the bathroom but it may help, there is a longshot option butits a bit potchy, maybe there is an external fan somewhere , poke electric outside and have a mains voltage fan on the outside, its outside all safety zones then, uses same hole but outside, you could even use the fans grill you currently have as a vent so it doesn't mess your tiles.up, sorry can't be of more use!

Ah, now I see, you might be outta luck then, looks like you will need a selv fan wherever in that size room, only options are try and find a better fan, or you could try putting a 4inch vent in your door low down to increase or match air flow of the fan, so its replacing as much air as its displacing, if that makes any sense, don't think it will rid you of condensation on cold items in the bathroom but it may help, there is a longshot option butits a bit potchy, maybe there is an external fan somewhere , poke electric outside and have a mains voltage fan on the outside, its outside all safety zones then, uses same hole but outside, you could even use the fans grill you currently have as a vent so it doesn't mess your tiles.up, sorry can't be of more use!

Well, I wipe down most walls and all bath fittings after every shower which helps, while the fan is running. Also, I'm going to seal all the grout to make it water repellent. Because I'm aware of the condensation, I'm kind of keeping on top of it as I open the window quite a lot. Like, I opened it tonight and turned the fan on via it's cord (fortunately it is both humidistat and manual cord) and any condensation areas around the window had disappeared. In fact now that I think of it, the tiles and fittings inside the bathscreen were dry tonight, it's only really the wall under the window and the window itself which are further from the bath and fan that tend to stay wet, but I hadn't wiped those down this morning. So either the fan is working well but in short range or I just need to wipe those other areas too after showers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back