Daisy Chain - Safe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, just a quick query to find out if this is safe?

I have a 13A maximum extension cable coming from a single wall socket, feeding a small fridge, phone charger and another extension cable (13A) which feeds another phone charger, lamp, small TV and a playstation.

Would I be right in saying this is okay, as most of the devices are turned off during the day, and only used when phones and playstations/TV's are turned on, or will there be too much current going through the one socket?

Many thanks, Paul.

Attachments

• IMG_6890.jpg
    IMG_6890.jpg
    298.7 KB · Views: 175
Sponsored Links
Was told that extension on extension is a no no by a sparky years ago.
Don't know if things have changed and it's now safe, but I don't do it.

feeding a small fridge
this is likely against manufacturers instructions, but other than the fridge likely no problem.

Let me explain, every extension lead has a fuse and also some resistance, so as you add leads volt drop under load increases, and a standard refrigeration unit is a compressor which uses more power to start than to run, and has to get up to speed before there is enough pressure built up to stall it. It is about the only item left in the home which volt drop will damage. Old radios may get a mains hum with volt drop, but it does not cause damage, the standard refrigeration unit will trip out if it does not reach speed in time, and the trip will not stand repeated use, and it is the built in trip in the motor that will in the end fail.

But other than that as long as correct fuse is used, and in free air, then no problem, any flex is rated in free air, permanent cables are rated depending how installed, so a 2.5 mm² cables can be rated anywhere between around 12 to 28 amp depending on how it can cool, but a flex is rated for use in free air, do put under carpets etc, it can over heat.

So with a total load under 2 kW unlikely to have a problem except for standard refrigeration unit, I say standard as some modern units are inverter drive, and they are not affected by volt drop in the same way.

Sponsored Links
It’s fine, apart from the trip hazard. Don’t run the extensions under rugs or anything stupid like that. If you own the property, consider getting some more sockets fitted at more useful positions eventually.

i would personally say if its below about 10 to 20% capacity then you are completly safe assuming everything is 13amp [supply side]thats around 3000w so 600w should never be a problem regardless off daisy chaining and a reasonable length

The biggest mistake with extension cables, is leaving them tightly coiled up. Coiled up, it is less easy for the cable to dissipate heat. Heat build up can cause the plastic insulation to eventually melt. A second problem, is the fuse rating in the plug, not matching or less than the cable rating.

Many extension lead sockets have "soggy" ( as in weak and non springy ) contacts which do not make good contact with the pins of the plugs in the socket.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back