Daisy chaining outside lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been asked to put in some outside lights for my neighbour. They are to go in the borders (2 on each side and 2 at the back). The side ones are the spotlights on spikes and the 2 at the back will be floodlights pointing upwards at the bushes.
There is easy access to power from the side of the conservatory (all RCD protected).
My plan was to run 1.5 SWA from the conservatory along the side of the garden, along the back then down the other side. (voltage drop ok). The garden is surrounded by fencing with the concrete plinths so was going to clip to those rather than try and bury amongst all the roots.
My original thought was to break into the swa at each light point with a galvanised 't' box. Is this the best method of doing it? I am assuming the spotlights will have flex attached but will this not mean that at some point the flex will be unprotected between the spotlights and the junction?

Sponsored Links
I usually use low voltage lights{ you really dont want mains outside].
Take your supply to a waterproof box, mount the transformer in the box
the l/v fittings just screw into the cable and can be joined at each fitting.If you require to extent the cable you can get waterproof conectors to join them

Sponsored Links
I have resurrected my original post as the final decision has now been made by my neighbour. Referring to the picture, they want 2 spots on either side (12v) and 2 floodlights at the back of the garden (mains). The diagram is how I envisage it would work best but I would be interested in hearing if anyone else would do it differently.
I will be using 1.5swa running around the the edge of the garden. The borders are heavily populated with trees and bushes so was wondering if it is permissable to have the swa simply resting on top of the soil behind the foilage, (access to cleat at regular intervals will be difficult) the junction boxes will also be well hidden and can be fastened to the concrete base of the fence.
My main concern with feeding 2 of the 12v lights from one jb is that there will be a length of flex from light to jb of a few feet. As this will be on the surface rather than buried, is there a problem with this or should I use some extra protection for the flex?

GALLERY]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back