Damage to shelf in porch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
D81D9BA9-64D6-4470-B2FA-701CB569A40E.jpeg
Hi

Apologies if I’m using wrong forum. Attached is photo of shelf in our “not so new porch”. I’ve only just noticed the split (could have been there for a while?)

Assume no quick fix, repair for this, so just need to remove and replace?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Pretty certain it’s wood. Is that more common set up for porches? (We have same stuff in conservatory, which was done at same time)

Thanks

Could be mdf.

You could try drilling holes through EITHER the top or bottom section, and then drive some woodscrews in.

Some glue in the cracks may help too.

Sponsored Links
If it's just split wood/mdf, and painted, you could try some easy sand car body filler from somewhere like Halfords.
Mix it up, force it into the cracks and round off as best you can. When dry, use a fine grit sandpaper/sanding block and smooth it off flush. The beauty of this method is that will help hold the crack together and is easy to paint.

Only just seen this.
It looks to me like a piece of bull nosed worktop. Can you catch your finger nail on the coating? If so then I'd simply replace it, however, you need to find out why it split.
Possible causes are moisture penetration from underneath, in which case this needs to be addressed. Cause of this may be penetrating damp or simply condensation has got in through a break in the seal where it joins the window frame. Another cause may be expansion because it is a tight fit between the window frame sides. Solution to prevent this happening to a new cill is to ensue a slight gap each end and sealed with a silicone sealant.

Thanks again. The original fitters are coming up this week to look at repair/replacement. Will flag these issues with them.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back