How to remove fixed kitchen shelf?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We've just bought an old house so I'm getting a crash course in DIY. The gas oven didn't work so I've removed it and we've bought a new electric oven on an auction site. The new oven is significantly smaller so I would like to raise the oven shelf up and install our microwave below it.

Most of the shelves are removable (sitting on shelf supports in 5mm holes) but the oven shelf appears to be fixed. It has Hettich shelf supports below it (pictured) but even after unlocking the fasteners (I think) the shelf will not budge. I can see traces of glue under the shelf so I think it may be glued in too.

Can anyone:
1) tell me what those fasteners are? (I can't see them in the current Hettich catalogue under shelf supports)
2) tell me if I have unlocked the fastener (pictured)?
3) advise if there's any other way to get that shelf out (assuming it is glued)?
4) suggest the right shelf supports to use for the new shelves (assuming I need to destroy the oven shelf to replace it)?

Thanks in advance!
Matt

[/img]

Sponsored Links
I've never seen those fasteners before, but if they have become slack then you have probably undone them.....
The shelf is likely to be part of the structural strength of the cupboard if its glued in place, and destroying the shelf would seem to be the only way of removing it - however this is likely to cause some damage to the carcass too.
Try jig sawing down the middle and gently working the shelf up and down to break the glue bond.
For replacement shelf bearers, there are numerous brackets available, but go for two timber bearers if you can, screwed (and glued) to the carcass.
John :)

Standard cam fittings, the one in the pic seem to be in the open position, they are fitted in conjugation with dowels which is why you cannot move, a sharp blow with a hammer ensuring cams are in the open position will snap the dowel and allow removal.You will need to fix the replacement shelf with brackets or will lose integrity of cupboard.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the answers (almost 2 years ago now!).

Just to wrap this thread up... what I ended up doing was leaving the existing shelf at the same height (for the microwave) and installing an additional shelf for the oven by screwing/glueing timber supports to the sides of the cabinet and putting a piece of MDF on top for the oven. The shelf has a slight bow to it but it seems to be doing okay.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back