Damaged cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i'm slightly embarassed to ask but i was always told if you're not sure, ask.

Basically i was drilling a hole of the plasterboard ceiling as i was doing it i caught site of a wire in the hole and so stopped drilling immediately. After some careful excavation i made the hole bigger to check out the wire to see if it was damaged. The wire is intact with a few scatches and scuffs to the outer protective sheath/insulation. None of the wires inside are visible and the outer part hasn't been pierced in any way. It just looks like it could have been dragged over some rough wood. Can I presume that this means I am massively fortunate and that the wire is still ok?

Sorry for wasting your time, but the last thing i want is to plasterboard back over and have a problem in the future. Many thanks

Sponsored Links
As long as you have not damaged or exposed any of the coppery you're fine.

Regards,

DS

I would get it tested.

The Emma Shaw case was all caused by a plaster hitting the cable and the electrician failing to test it after the damage.

Likely no problem but until tested that's just a guess. With post 2008 wiring the RCD will likely still work even if the earth is missing but really we should not rely on the RCD. Even a simple plug in socket tested should highlight any faults with a loop test in the plug in tester then your quite sure it's OK.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back